Boy/Girl coordinating clothing?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marleigh, Aug 15, 2010.

1. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

Anyone out there have had any luck with either retail or online stores for finding coordinating clothing for boy/girl twins? I've seriously spent the last 2 weeks at the mall and searching online and can't find anything coordinating well for the 1st birthday pics. I just wanted something nice and more formal for their 1 year photo but I'm gonna end up putting them both in jeans and a white polo...boring.

I've been to Gymboree, Children's place, Sears, JCPenney, Target, Kohls, Old Navy....

This is crazy!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've gotten to where I will find a striped shirt for Liam (blue and red or something), and then I'll find like a red shirt with blue flowers on it for Rylee, or something like that. Instead of trying to find things identical i try to find complimentary things.

1st birthday boy

1st birthday girl

Boy top
    Girl top

I ordered co-ordinating shirts from Cookie Baby for my twins 1st birthday, you get it personalized with their name on it, they turned out so cute! :wub

3. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

My boy girl twins have a lot of matching outfits. I buy special outfit from the boutique brands, which can be pricey. Remember nguyen (I think I spelled that wrong) Kelly Kids, Castle and Crowns. You can also have some one make you some outfits. That is what I do for the twins birthday. Try etsy.com
    Good luck

4. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

We just had the kids pictures done, I had our photographer help me pick co ordinating outfits for the kids! They all had the same colours but nothing was matchy matchy! One girl wore a white and green top, w white capris - the other a white top w a greeny,bluey white skirt. The boys wore white tops & sweaters one wore green, blue, white plaid paints and the other wore a soft denim. The girls both wore jean jackets for some too! I only have the link to all our profs but I can post it if you want to see what they ended up wearing for an idea!

HTHs I just want you to know they don't have to be completely matching, infact it's almost better if they're not!

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

You know most of my cute coordinating outfits were actually found separately! not that that helps you. but... maybe gets you thinking about something else...

here's a cute idea...
    pink flowers and black pic

the shirt my ds is wearing is light pink... with the black vest and pants and complements my dd's pink and black flowered dress... I've seen some CUTE boy's dress up outfits like this at Burlington Coat Factory.

I actually appliqued the "2" on these shirts that I got from Target.
    "2" pink/blue shirts

Or what about some cute pink/brown and blue/brown outfits??

or here is a total fluke outfit that matched! red/white/black.
    the dress is a hand-me-down and then the boy's is what I actually bought b/c I wanted the white shorts for the green outfit.
    red/white/black

Here's the green outfits that I used for our 2 yr pics as an example. they are actually several years old from Children's Place, well the dress is, and then the boy's vest. I just paired the vest with white shorts and a shirt.

girl's green
    boy's green

I only show you all the pictures to show that you can mix and match and they can actually look like they came together! If you have enough time... its really fun to do! Good luck! I'm usually stressing out the last 2 days and then it all just comes together somehow!!

and our 1st yr pics... again, not bought together... the shortalls were actually too big and still a little big in the picture, but I made it work well enough.
    1st yr dots-stripes

6. maybell

p.s. I feel your pain. because for their 1st yr I really stressed out and literally it wasn't until the day before that I found that supercute shortall that coordinated so perfectly.

and sorry to have such a long post... but I love having cute coordinating outfits... and its fun to get them for cheap! don't be afraid to think outside the box. one store may have something and another have something else.

I really think that you find a dress or something for your girl then pair it with the shirt and pants for the boy and get it to coordinate like the pink/black and the green/white outfits I have. easy.

7. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I read your other post and it's funny b/c the stuff we wore on the boys were hand me downs too and the girls stuff I bought some and my mil bought some stuff. It's just funny how things just seem to go together! Your kids are adorable!

8. maybell

awe thanks! I am totally amazed with the coorinating outfits I've matched up. and I LOVE that red/black/white fluke set we have. I'd bought the white shorts set w/that black/white checked shirt as a set just for the white shorts and I about fell over when I opened up the 2T box of handme downs that had been in the attic and the little red dress was in there!!

9. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

i have had lots of luck but have been shopping for many months. i do have a listing on ebay right now for the childrens place matching outfits, 12m, new with tags...was a gift and never got to use them. user id is my2miraclebabies. I have had a lot of luck with old navy but in store can not always find boy and girl in right sizes...sometimes have to order online. also carters has a lot of coordinating stuff. and i always look for b/g twin on ebay and twin moms are usually selling something theyre b/g twins have outgrown. Ive seen some really cute things on there lately. oh and i just got awesome matching blue whte striped dress and overalls from Hartstrings outlet.

10. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

maybell-i want to buy the #2 shirts from you when you are done with them! so cute!

11. maybell

awe thanks! they are already getting stained... so sad!

I'm sure you can find something cute on Etsy.com I think that's where I got the idea... and then this last spring I saw #1 shirts at Target that were cute too... plus I think the "2" is waaaaay too huge... but I made them the night before while the kids were sleeping and didn't put enough though into them! thanks for the compliment. we love wearing them.

12. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Great ideas ladies! I have had my best luck with matching outfits from Childrens' Place. Maybe if there was nothing in the store you could check the outlets for the summer styles (for their 1 year we got DD a plaid dress and DS shortalls in the same plaid). I also do a lot of coordinating of similar styles like him in blue jeans and her in a jean skirt.

13. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

For their first bday pics I found DS a white oxford shirt with a solid color yellow tie. He wore khaki pants with it and DD wore a yellow dress with some pale blue and pink on it. It matched quite well with his little yellow tie! So maybe find a solid color tie and then a dress to match? DD also wore a little hat that matched the dress...it was mostly yellow.

HTH!!