bottles/solids question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Mar 20, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i am going to change my schedule today and drop a bottle, up-ing their milk from 6 oz to 8.

how far after their bottles should i give them their solids if they eat at 8, 12, 4 and 8? (they nap at 10 and 2).
    the only thing i am nervous about is their 2:00 nap. they generally drink the bottle and fall asleep. now i have to rub heads and help them sleep, lol!

2. newtothis

i did 8 oz at 8 and attempted cereal at 9 and they ate about 5 spoonfuls each.
    they were definitely not into it!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If their bottles are 4 hours apart then I think I'd do solids after 2 hours, right in the middle. GL!

4. newtothis

they nap at 10 and get their bottle at 8.
    should i try and wait until 9:30? i generally read to them and 'relax' them around 9:45.

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah sure, try at 9:30.

6. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

I give bottles then give sdolids 1 1/2 hours later and they are great with it!

7. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

We do the same and they eat great!

8. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I always did solids at the same time as the bottle. For my kiddos that had no problems with nursing or taking their bottles, I did some solids first followed immediately by their bottle or nursing. My refluxers had low intake anyway so I did a good amount of their bottle followed by solids then offered the rest of the bottle. If they are already used to eating every four hours, why go backwards? I didn't have time to be feeding babies every 2 hours and I didn't want it to mess with their naps.

9. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

hmmm I always do.. bottle (6oz) then breakfast when they wake up. Lunch and 6oz bottle .. usually around noon. Supper and a 6oz bottle @ 4:30 or 5. Then an 8oz bottle @ 7:30/8pm. The sometimes get a mum mum or a "treat" before their bath and their night time bottle.

10. opalbarb

opalbarb Well-Known Member

I space mine every 2 hours: (8:00 bottle, 10 solids, 12 bottle.... etc) - although I will acknowledge it's a PITA to be feeding every 2 hours, on the plus side they eat almost 8 oz of formula 4x per day and a pretty healthy serving of solids... so we never have issues with them waking at night hungry and they are growing well. So we just suck it up and deal with 7 feedings a day (4 bottles and 3 solids).

11. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will help but at the peds today he said for me NOT to give any more formula than they're getting now.. so 24oz, feed them more solids. I know every dr is different but just thought I'd pass that along :)