Bottle Nipples

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Vero, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Vero

Vero Well-Known Member

New mom here - Just wondering - how long do you recycle the nipple for? 1 month? 2 months?
    I wash and boil all my bottles and nipples after every use. But now I'm wondering how long is it sanitary to keep the same nipple.

Sorry if it's a silly question. :rolleyes:

2. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to use them until they don't seem to come clean anymore or the hole is ripped. I've been using mine for over three months without a problem. If you were using the same two everytime then you might need to replace them but twin mums tend to have many that they cycle through each day. I know Avent says to replace them after two months or something but I think it's just so they can make more money!! If you take good care of them I think they'll last and last. Just my opinion.

3. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

I used ours until the girls moved up to the next size (we use Dr. Brown's bottles). I would guess that I used some of them for up to 6 months. They both seem to be alive and kickin' so I guess no harm done :D

4. Mommydee

Mommydee Well-Known Member

wow- that's a lot of boiling!!! i think i boiled mine before the first use and that was that!!! we have a dishwasher, so we usually use it with occasional handwashing. as long as they look good, i think they're ok to continue using. i'd say we've been using these since moving to the bigger bottles (~5-6 months?)

5. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't believe you boil that much! You are a dedicated mommy!

We just boil then once when they are new. I wash throughout the day then run through the dishwasher when I can.

I've been using the same nipples for about 2 months now, no problems as of yet. I think as long as they aren't torn or dirty, you are good!

6. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

MIne will be 3 months monday and the nipples seem fine so i am not replacing till i see a problem. WOW on boiling them all the time. That might wear them down more... I boil when they are new then wash by hand daily. Our water is very hot so i figure it is good enough.

7. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mommydee @ Jul 19 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]336876[/snapback]
    wow- that's a lot of boiling!!! i think i boiled mine before the first use and that was that!!! we have a dishwasher, so we usually use it with occasional handwashing. as long as they look good, i think they're ok to continue using. i'd say we've been using these since moving to the bigger bottles (~5-6 months?)

Same here. We bought new nipples at 6mos, nice silicon ones. Well, they hate them! So back to the plain old rubber type nipples from before. We came home with about 40 of them from NICU and they're still good!

8. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Definitely not a silly question!! I didn't replace mine until they went up in size and I used to boil mine once a week to sterilize.

9. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

You don't have to boil them after every use, once a week is plenty. If you wash them in your dishwasher you won't need to boil them at all. Also you can use the same nipples until they either go up a size (and are no longer needed) or if they seem worn out. These are the criteria for replacing nipples and bottles.

Signs a nipple should be tossed
    Check your nipples often (at least every two to three months) for these signs of wear and tear:
    • Formula pours out in a stream. Formula should drip steadily out of the nipple - if it comes rushing out, the hole is too big and the nipple should be replaced.
    • Discoloration - this could be a sign that the nipple is deteriorating.
    • Thinning - this an early sign that the nipple is weakening. To test a nipple's strength, pull hard on the bulb. The nipple should rebound into its original shape. If it doesn't, throw away the nipple.
    • Stickiness or swelling - this could be a sign that the nipple is deteriorating.
    • Cracks, tears, or breaks - pieces of the nipple could break off and become a choking hazard.
    Signs a bottle should be tossed
    You should replace your baby's bottle if you notice:
    • Cracks, chips, or breaks - Your child could cut, pinch, or otherwise injure himself. This is especially dangerous if you use glass bottles.
    • And remember, if you use bottles with disposable liners, you should throw away the liner after each use.

10. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

You don't have to boil them after every use, once a week is plenty. If you wash them in your dishwasher you won't need to boil them at all.

Ditto.

I threw them out when they became flimsy like.