bottle help

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Nov 15, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

our LO's have been using medela bottles. i pump and/or supplement with formula and just put their nipples on it and feed them that way.
    the nipples have been collapsing and we think it's either their major cause of gas and discomfort...who knows, lol. we have a few avent bottles and we've been doing them on their night feed and no bubbles have been forming in the nipple and the nipples dont collapse. on top of that, we need bigger bottles. 4 oz just ain't cutting it anymore.

we are heading out now to go and get new bottles. we are done with the 4oz and ready for what should we go and buy?
    avent? dr. browns? open to any suggestions!

2. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We use Avent. I love them. Dr. Browns has too many parts to clean. The Avent are nice because they have 9 and 11 oz and I use the big ones to store EBM for the next day (they have the discs you can use to make it a storage bottle. Our babies have been on them since day one and do really well, minimal gas, etc

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We used Avent as well. With the older kids I used Gerber bottles & they were fine. But I have never really had any major reflux issues so type of bottles was never overly important. :pardon:

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We like the Playtex Drop-Ins. We use the generic Target liners. Very little to clean. However, if you are going to be giving a lot of bottles, the cost of the liners would add up.

5. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I bought a ton of advent bottles and hated them. I found that if you didn't put the ring on just right they leaked all over the place and no matter how hard I tried we couldn't get them to not leak :( We used the platex drop in kind for a while but the liners were starting to add up so then I went to think baby bottles and I like them. My suggestion would be to go with what works for your boys and if you are trying a different kind only buy one or two first so you don't waste tons of money if they don't like them.

6. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We had the same problem with Avents which led to a lot of cussing! We then tried Playtex drop-ins, but the liners didn't collapse like we thought they would and it seemed like the boys still took in a lot of air and had really bad gas. So then we switched to Dr. Browns. We used those for about a month or so and generally liked them, except they are a pain to clean, and our boys still had pretty bad gas and tummy problems. So finally we switched to Playtex Ventaires and I love those (we use the Dr. Browns level 3 nipples with them). The Ventaires are so much easier to clean than the Dr. Browns, and while the boys still have some gas issues, the air intake is no worse than it was with the Dr. Browns. Also, I like that they have 7 and 9 oz bottles (the 4 oz Dr. Browns are too small to use for any length of time, and those bottles are expensive!)

7. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

I love Born Free bottles. The nipples don't collapse and they come in glass (a must for me). They have them at Target.