Book recommendations for potty training?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by vtlakey, Mar 20, 2011.

1. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I just ordered 2 of these Bjorn potty chairs for our boys. I want to start introducing them to them in the near future and then start officially potty training. But I have NO CLUE how to potty train little boys! I'm thinking they should be trained to pee sitting down rather than trying to aim and pee in the chair. It just seems like less mess to me! For those that trained boys did you train them to stand and pee or sit and pee?? And if you read any good potty training books that helped you please let me know the name of the book(s). I've always heard that boys are harder to potty train than girls, so I'm a little apprehensive about potty training two boys when I've never done this before! :)

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

The No cry potty solution for you. Elmo's potty for them.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DS was trained sitting down. He can pee standing up, only using his little potty but for the most part he still prefers to sit down. Two books that helped both my daughter and son: Elmo Goes to the Potty and No More Diapers for Ducky. Plus, on the recommendation of a few moms on TS, I also rented the DVD Potty Power. The kids really enjoyed that. Just remember to have a lot of patience and when you are frustrated and need to vent, make sure they are napping or out of hearing range. Good luck!

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we trained both ways... standing on a small stool at the toilet -- no the potty chair. and then sitting on the potty chair and telling them to "hold it down"...

we also checked out a variety of pottying DVDs from the library, whatever they had. if you don't like it just take it back and check out a new one.

for me, I did a calendar and made comments on it... hashmarks to show that they peed successfully, and "X" for accidents... helped me keep track of it.

Finally over 3 months into it (we went on vacation in the middle of it, and I didn't really go full force until we got back from vacation) I did the 3 day potty training ebook from online. I really liked her approach. basically going straight to underwear.

good luck! I'm so pleased the ours have been "trained" for several months now and we don't even bring along extra clothes anymore!