Board Games for Toddlers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lotus, Mar 29, 2008.

1. lotus

lotus Well-Known Member

We got Candyland as a gift last Christmas, and since that time I've been taking it out periodically to try to teach them how to play. I tried again this afternoon, but they just don't seem to get it yet. The box does say for ages 3+, but I figured I'd try to teach them just for fun.

My girls might still be young for board games now, but I would love some ideas on some easy games that my girls might enjoy, either for now or around the 3-4 year old age range.

Thanks in advance!

2. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

I don't know of any for before 3, but Chutes and ladders is great- also, any matching games- my boys already like to look at all the pictures on the cards and show the pictures to each other and me and put them in stacks. A great game for little girls is Pretty Pretty Princess! it is sooooo very cute. With some help from you they could already play that one. It has little clip on earrings, bracelets, necklaces and a crown. They put on and take off the jewelry in the color they pick as they go around the board and whomever has all their pieces on and the crown wins.
    It is actually great fun to have dad play this with them for some great pictures!!! TEE HEE!
    Lanie

3. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

Ari didn't really get board games until she was probably 3. She's pretty good now, although she has a hard time losing. She like card games too.

4. twinmomri

twinmomri Active Member

My boys are 2 1/2 and they can play the Candyland Castle Game. They got it for Christmas and it has been GREAT! They just pull the lever and a shape comes out. Then they match the shape to their board. Pretty straighforward and they definitely get what they are supposed to be doing.

We also like Memory here. We don't play it how it was meant to be played, but they still enjoy it. We put all the cards face up and they take turns making matches.

Caryn

5. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I can't wait for those board games w/my twins! But we have a LONG way to go before they could get into that game. They're only 18 mos, heh! This was a good board to read.

Diana

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Cariboo! It's great. We have Candyland and they don't really enjoy it and don't understand fully how to play it. Cariboo is easy to play/explain. I highly recommend it.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We have "Go Away Monster" (search on Amazon) and it is great- they get how to play it and it is simple. We have done Memory and the Duck Duck game (hasbro). We also just tried the Animal sounds Bingo (at Target by Bloom) and it was a hit!

We have Candy Land too and they are not quite there yet!

Great ideas for new stuff though!

8. billandginastwins1

billandginastwins1 Well-Known Member

The twins love lucky ducks and cariboo.

9. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Cariboo rocks!!! (Or as my kids lovingly refer to it --"Carrot-poo."

10. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

I have boys and find at age 4 that they still have little desire to play "board games" like Candyland. Playing Leap Frog Bingo is about as close as we come. But, we have found many other games that they enjoy. The games that are most appealing to them are ones that require them to do some type of action (catch butterflies, tap ice, move around, pick up ducks or fish,etc) Here are some we have (or grandma has) that they enjoy:

Hi Ho Cherry-O (one of their 1st games)
    Don't Break the Ice
    Elefun
    Honey Bee Tree
    Let's Go Fishing
    Lucky Ducks
    Cranium Hullabaloo
    Ants in the Pants
    Whac-a-Mole
    Flippin' Frogs

11. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sarah would have been able to play games at 3. Timothy was closer to 4, but when he understood, he really got it. We have and play:

Candyland
    Shoots and Ladders
    Hullaballoo
    Uno
    Thomas Counting Game
    The Lady Bug Game
    Old Maid
    Snap
    Memory
    Go Fish
    Checkers
    Domino's
    Triomino's
    Bingo

I no longer dread rainy days as much. We literally can spend hours playing games.

Marissa