Blankets

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by haleystar, Nov 7, 2010.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

You know those comforter type blankets that come with crib sets? When is it safe to start using them??

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I'm not going to put anything in with them til they hit 1 year, adjusted age.

3. haleystar

Well they are already passed their 1 year old adjusted age and they sleep with a thick/larger receiving blanket, their stuffed rabbits that they can't sleep without and two very small square pillows that came with the crib set. I'm just wondering about the comforter blanket that comes with crib sets - when I can start using those.

4. SC

SC Well-Known Member

I really don't know when it is "safe", per se. But, I have to believe once LOs can move around freely and move things close to them/away from them, then it is safe. That said, I do not use the comforters that came with our crib sets just because they're so big and bulky. I have been using breathable knit blankets (that the boys were given in the NICU) for a long time. I also have recently started adding another soft blanket to each baby's crib since the weather has cooled down now.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started using ours just after a year. I believe the risks of SIDS have dropped dramatically by then. Thus far they don't keep them on but enjoy being covered/tucked in at night.

6. haleystar

You mean the big ones that cover the whole crib when you lay if flat, right?

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we started using comforters around a year. i don't think there's anything official about when to start using that stuff. :unknw: i went with when they seemed fairly capabale of rolling over, standing up, moving around & could get themselves where they more or less needed to.

8. haleystar

Great thanks ladies!

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I actually used mine much earlier, but I've also used blankets since they were born :) My kids have always been covered up because we keep our house cool at night.

10. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Well, I prefer fleece :), but I personally wouldn't worry too much about using thick stuff after 1 yr adjusted age. But ask your pedi, just to be on the safe side. The key is whether they will get their nose/mouth into a clear position while sleeping--it is believed that babies who die of SIDS just sleep right through when they are not getting enough fresh air.

11. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

I've been using for a while now... I think once they are strong enough to move around, pull themselves up, it is safe to use...

12. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We used 1 year as our milestone for stuff in the crib and just recently started using the comforters because its getting colder. As one of the pp mentioned, we usually find it on the floor in the AM, but they do like being tucked in. We also just got them pillow pets because they have been using their blankets, stuffed animals, etc as pillows.

13. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

My kids have used blankets from day one. Well, they were swaddled till 5mos or so, so they couldn't move the blankets. After that,they were old enough to roll over and move around. I just used fleece blankets we got as gifts and then for my older ds 2nd Christmas, he got a crib sized fleece blanket from my mom and a smaller flannel blanket from my sil. For the twins, they got the same kind of flannel blanket from my sil for their first Christmas but they were 11mos old then. Those blankets we take when we travel. We don't have the crib blankets that come with a set as I had the bumper pad and skirt made we didn't make a crib blanket. We keep our heat at about 68 at night in the winter so the flannel blankets won't be enough so I am going to be buying some fleece so my mom can make the twins each a crib sized blanket.

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started using blankets as blankets around 18 months, prior to that we really using sleep sacks because the kids preferred to cuddle up with blankets like stuffed animals from 12 to 18 months. In the summer time, I just use a thin blanket and in the winter they use their fleece blankets.

15. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I've heard somewhere that you're not supposed to put *anything* in the crib before age 2 (can't find a reference right now). That being said, my guys were dragging pillows off of the couch at 15 months and laying on them, so my nanny made them fleece pillows to sleep with. Last winter we put them in fleece sleepsacks with legs to keep them warm, and this spring when they outgrew the sleepsacks, we started using blankets.

16. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

Mine have had blankets since they were born too, I'd never heard of not putting blankets in their cribs until dd2 was almost 2 and was shocked. do what you're comfortable w!

17. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, 1 of mine has the original crib quilt, the other a different, smaller blanket which is made of fleece. I wanted a spare in case either or both boys got attached to them and they got dirty in the middle of the night- that's why they don't both use the crib quilt. :)