Birthday presents for 3 yr olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, Mar 30, 2013.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hi ladies! Happy Easter. I have some questions to ask. I'm looking for birthday presents for my kids. They will turn 3 next sat. It's Kindda last min thing. I decided to just add extra money into their school fund accounts since they will have lot of presents. But I changed my mind now lol

So I think about: roller skates. These are a all able for 2-5. Am I crazy to buy those? Or push and kick scooters? Or 12" bicycles? I don't know. What did you get for your kiddos? Any suggestions? Thank you so much!!!!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Balance bikes if they don't have one! I haven't dare buying roller skates yet. At that age my son was totally into Imaginext stuff (still is), my daughter into kitchen/doll stuff.

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Kid K'nex have been the best, most consistently played with toys we've ever bought. Sydney and Sabrina got a good sized set when they were 3. Then the next year, they each got another small set that could make a Sesame Street character, but could also be used with the original ones. My older boys played along with them. When Spencer got old enough, he started playing with them.

Personally, I wouldn't do roller skates at 3. Their balance is still too iffy, IMO. And I have some very coordinated kids (and a couple not so much).

4. w101ttd

Thanks ladies! My hub and and I talked and we agreed that roller skates are scary right now and bikes should be good for them. Summer is coming. And my kids love outdoor play then indoor. Plus, they will take summer school and field trips 5 days/week. So they won't be home and play that much.

They got little ppl, mr/mrs potatoes heads, kitchen sets,.. But they didn't play those for long. They just like Legos, wooden blocks, puzzles, chalk board, water paints for indoor play. Kids k'nex is very neat. I will keep it in the toy list and might get some for them for Xmas. I think they are too young for those now.

Yeah I'm looking into balance bikes or 12" bikes. Thanks! And happy Easter!

5. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

my 4 yo started LOVING his trike around 3, so I'd say that's the way to go!

6. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I am kind of late to reply to this one, but I wanted to say my kids love their STRIDER ST-3 No-Pedal Balance Bike - they learned how to balance quickly and they are using these every day. There are other brands out there, and we researched them all, we like the Strider, but any other brand would do the job.

Happy Birthday to your kids :)!!!

7. w101ttd

Thanks :). I got them balance bikes. Nolan got it like in 5 mins. He flies so fast on it. But Michelle doesn't care much. She is afraid to fall. Nolan got so frustrated that he had to wait for his sis lol.

8. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear Nolan got it so fast. Give Michelle a chance, I am sure she will figure it out in time. Even if she falls a few times, the bikes are lightweight and not too tall, that the fall isn't bad - I know what I am talking about, my kids were falling in the beginning also :).

9. w101ttd

Yeah Nolan goes nuts with it. He keeps insisting to take it out to the park or our neighborhood. But it's been so cold here as they have runny noses. So I said "NO". When it gets little warmer, I will take them out to the park and they will have fun I am sure. Thanks :)

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

It took almost a year for DS to be interested in riding his bike, he loves it now though (we still use striders here, although we bought the extension for DD).

11. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

A little late on this, but I splurged and got a set of Tegu blocks (wooden blocks with magnets safely embedded inside) for Kepler and it is the one toy he consistently plays with *every* day. He carries them around, rearranges them, makes robots and shapes and all sorts of sculptures, and takes very good care of them. The one thing that I noticed is that the set I got doesn't have the cubes, which I bought later - the bigger thick blocks only have magnets on the very end and somehow end up not being as versatile, so stick with one of the sets with cubes. :)

12. w101ttd

Yes, it's late :) but helpful. I will add tegu blocks in their toy list. I think my kids will love those. And I might get them a set for Xmas.

I got them balance bikes, Diego and Dora tshirts with their names. my husband got them rescue bags (Diego and Dora's backpacks). As also filled those bags with batteries for their toys, flash lights, rescue ropes, maps,.. And they were so happy. They even picked out their birthday cake. And of course it's Dora and Diego cake :)! Thanks again ladies!