Birth Control

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by slavila, Apr 27, 2011.

1. slavila

slavila Well-Known Member

Now that the twin are here, we are 99% sure we are done having kids. The twins are #5 and 6 for us.
    In about a month I go in to get a paragard IUD (the copper, non-hormonal one). I was wondering if anyone has had one and would like to sure their experience with it.

Thanks

2. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

I do have a good friend I was talking to about this has the copper implant. The way she described it was that since it "kept an embryo from attaching" that every couple months she had a heavier flow. It makes her wonder if those instances she did "become pregnant" and her body was "miscarrying" So itskind of disturbing to her. I've never researched them so I don't know how they really work. I hope it's not true though :(

3. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

It is really not known how paragard prevents pregnancy. It is said that it "may" stop an embryo from implanting, also says that copper may affect sperms motility and/or ability to penetrate an egg. I hope it works because I get mine in a couple of weeks, we are sure we're done but neither of us can have sterilization surgery. We've been pregnant on the pill twice so this is it...

4. sdmommy

sdmommy Well-Known Member

I am using Paragard and I love it. I got it at my 6 week checkup and it has worked well for me. It was uncomfortable and I felt a little pinching when I had it put in but it was not for very long. My dr told me that it was because I had a lot of scar tissue and that it's usually faster. I am very happy with it and have had not negative side effects.

This is what I found when I was doing research on it from the website:

ParaGard® prevents pregnancy primarily by stopping sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg.2 ParaGard® may also prevent the egg from attaching (implanting) in the uterus. ParaGard® does not alter your body's natural menstrual cycle.

I didn't get from my dr that no one knows how it works. He was pretty sure in saying that it's placed at the top of your uterus and that is what does not allow the sperm to reach the egg. I may be wrong but I'm not sure it would let you get pregnant only to discard the embryo and keep miscarrying every couple of months. If anyone did find that info/research, it would be great if you could post it.