Bike trailer

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by seamusnicholas, Jun 16, 2008.

1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I went to TRU today to look at the bike trailers. I put the boys in it and they were kind of squished. The worker told me that there are some that are wider then others but they only had one kind. Do you like your bike trailer and is there enough room for both kids. My boys each weigh about 30 lbs.

2. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I think if you both have bikes that you should get those seats that attach to the back. They will last longer and you will get to do more with them...

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Sarah© @ Jun 16 2008, 07:14 PM) [snapback]830097[/snapback]
    I think if you both have bikes that you should get those seats that attach to the back. They will last longer and you will get to do more with them...

I always get nervous about those. If I fall they will hit the ground right!? I get nervous about my balance with them on the back. Have you used them before?

And I just looked on line and most of the bike trailers are WAY too expensive! So I may take your suggestion. Thanks!

4. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Unless you are mountain biking (on rough trails) I doubt you will fall over. They stay on because they are attached by screws and bolts. The balance is not off, because its on your seat (basically). See if you can find one on Craigslist and give it a shot.

5. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Jun 16 2008, 07:16 PM) [snapback]830103[/snapback]
    I always get nervous about those. If I fall they will hit the ground right!? I get nervous about my balance with them on the back. Have you used them before?

And I just looked on line and most of the bike trailers are WAY too expensive! So I may take your suggestion. Thanks!

Most of the good ones are expensive (Burley, Trek, etc). We found one at Wal-Mart that we really like for about $120. And yes, our two are a bit squished and they only weigh 20 and 25 lbs. DH ended up putting a board at their feet so they had more stability and the straps seem to keep them better in place if they're done right.

I have the same fears about a bike seat. I would trust that THEY are sturdy, but I couldn't say as much for myself. ;)

The bike trailer works for us for how much we use it. In hindsight and if money were no object, we would have gotten a more expensive model or bought two single bike trailers, one for each of us.

6. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

we just got our bike seats for Jack and Lily's first birthday. I am totally nervous to use them. I wish I could take the bike with the bike seat on it to the Fire Station like we did when installing the car seats to be sure DH properly installed the seat :)! I understand the way you feel about falling but the seats are really like big plastic cocoons that go around the child.

7. Jaci

Jaci Well-Known Member

Mine is not a really expensive one (therefore probably smaller), so they are a bit squished but I think they're just used to it. They don't seem to complain about it, as long as they have fun snacks!

I would highly suggest checking out Craigs List first. In my area, I've seen a few Burley brand trailers advertised lately. I bet if you keep an eye out, you would find a more expensive brand that you could buy second hand. Good luck!

8. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

My bike trailer is an Instep I got on sale at Target for $69. They are a little squished, but they don't seem to care. We've debated getting a second trailer so when we all go they each have their own. But I like to take them solo too, so having two bike seats wouldn't work when I want to do it on my own.

There are also seats that sit in front of you, although I don't know if I would like that at all.