Big girl bed transition complete!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by E's 3, Sep 4, 2011.

1. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I can't believe it but we seem to officially be done with cribs!!! The girls have been in "big girl beds" for about 2 weeks now and since I sold the cribs yesterday there's no going back now, lol!

I hadn't actually intended on transitioning them now but due to a mix up when we were on holidays the cottage we rented didn't have cribs so the girls had to sleep on a mattress on the floor. It actually went really well. When we were forced to leave our vacation early due to Hurricane Irene DH and I decided to keep the trend going at home since he would be home on vacation for back-up until after Labour Day.

I had planned on picking out the bedding and getting their room painted while DH was home but didn't think we would move them until Christmas when they were closer to 2. I must say that 2 in a room alone get into WAY more trouble than one...I have had to remove almost everything from their room and put a lock on the closet but they are getting better at going to bed right away at nap time and at night so the wandering has cut back a lot.

I am so happy to be through this transition as it means I can now send them on sleepovers to my parents!!!!! I have already set up a time in October for them to go on a little vacation...this means I will have the house to myself for a couple of hours during the day with DS at school and DH at work...something that hasn't happened since the girls were born and I am incredibly excited for this :). Just thought I would share my good news :).

2. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the transition is going well. I'm absolutly terrifed of this transition! I'm hopingthey stay in their cribs at least another 6months!

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

You and me, too!! I'm so worried about switching them over. I know they're going to be out of bed messing with each other, tearing up everything in their rooms, etc. I hope we can keep using cribs for awhile still.

4. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I am a bit terrified of making the switch. My girls will be 2 yr next month and so far they haven't really tried to climb out of their cribs so we are going to wait until they do. It sure would be nice to send them for a sleepover. Enjoy your time when it comes :)

5. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Thanks! The fist few days were a little rough but overall it's been pretty smooth.

We're having nap issues but it has more to do with the fact that I have had to change the routine then the bed transition. They used to nap from 1pm - 3ish but now that Dannik has started school I have to pick him up at his bus stop down the street at 2:30 which has really messed up our routine. I am now trying to put them to bed right after lunch, between 11:45 and 12 and they are just not tired so they play until 1pm or so, then they are MISERABLE when I have to wake them at 2:15. I really hope this gets a little easier soon. The one good thing is that bedtime has been moved earlier again to 6:30pm (for Dannik too since a full day of pre-k is exhausting for him) which makes for a nice, long, quiet evening with my hubby :).

Good luck to the rest of you!

6. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Wow! I never even thought to transition them yet! Good for you! Honestly between this and the idea of potty training (which we are no- where near being ready for) so many changes. THings seem to be status quo so we're staying in our cribs for a while but high five to you. Good luck with your schedule woes, it will work itself out :))) Hope you get your mommy vacation soon!

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I still say you are one BRAVE maman! My boys are going to in cribs until HS.

8. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

WOW! You transistioned early!! Glad it went so smoothly for you, and its awesome you will be getting some you time because of it!! We will be in cribs until 3:) I had a great experience with my oldest DD and plan on following the same plan...Luckily my parents have packn plays so they can overnight there despite still being in cribs...thank GOD. Love them bunches tho!!

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:yahoo: Glad the transition went well! I hope the kids have a fun vacation with their grandparents and you have a fun child-free break!