BF babies wake more frequently at night?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sbcowell, Apr 4, 2008.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I am just wondering what all of you think, I keep hearing that bf babies wake more frequently because bm digests quicker in their system. What do you guys think, and at what age did both of your babies start to sleep 6hrs a night?

2. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

absolutely. My first son was FF, and he slept 8 hours by 6 weeks. He slept 12 hours by 3 months. With the twins it took 7 months for them to sleep 8 hours, and 9 months for 12 hours. I did nothing different with them other than what I fed them.

Reyna

3. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I think that this is generally true, it also still depends on the baby.

We were lucky and my girls slept through the night pretty early. But they're good sleepers in general.

4. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the baby. Both of mine are exclusive BF and they have STTN since three months old. And I mean actually sleeping through the night - 8 - 12 hours at that age. But maybe we just got extra lucky.

5. jhaumann

jhaumann Active Member

Jack is exclusively breastfed, as he started refusing his "bed-time" bottle about 3 weeks ago. (Which is what I always hoped for - YAY!) He sleeps 5-6 hours, and then eats, and sleeps 3-4 more hours.

Eric, who still eats his bed-time bottle, slept 10 hours last night.

6. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SeattleLisa @ Apr 4 2008, 05:13 PM) [snapback]704824[/snapback]
    I think it depends on the baby. Both of mine are exclusive BF and they have STTN since three months old. And I mean actually sleeping through the night - 8 - 12 hours at that age. But maybe we just got extra lucky.

Yes you ARE extra lucky! I am so jealous!

Reyna

7. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

Mine still wake every two hours :wacko:, BUT they are capable of going longer. Cassidy had a short stint of eight hour stretches when she was 2 months...

It DOES seem that FF babies sleep longer stretches earlier, unfortunately <_<.

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Elizabeth still wakes up 2x a night... She sleeps about 4 hours :(

9. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

My single (CJ) still wakes at least 1 time per night and she is 18 months. I know it is more of habit, but I give in.

10. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

I think it is really about more than just the milk. All three of mine are ebf..no formula at all... Aidan slept 6 hours at 8 weeks, Evie slept 6 hours by then too but then stopped (that is a whole other post) and Annalise slept 6 hours by 10 weeks (if I remember correctly). Evie has just finally started sleeping through recently (4 ear infections since December has caused some problems) and Annalise has been sleeping (11-12hours) since 3.5 months.

Annalise and Aidan are both great sleepers and nappers. Annalise takes 2x the nap in the morning than her sister and takes at least a 2 hour nap in the afternoon (sometimes 3) while Evie might take an hour and a half. Aidan still naps for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. I think there are lots of factors! I know it is tough when they are up so much but it does end. Before Annalise became this amazing sleeper, she would be up all night on a regular basis! It was horrible!!

11. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

Maybe there are averages one way or the other, but I don't think there are any guarantees for a particular baby. Both of my older ones were EBF, and one STTN at 2 months, the other at 15. (Yet, ironically, the latter one is the sounder sleeper now.)

12. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Mine will sleep for 6-8 hours if we let them. That started several weeks ago. The ped told me I can't let them go more than 4-5 hours though because he's concerned about their weight gain. Too bad. I could really use the sleep. :cray: