Best diapers for BIG babies?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cheezewhiz24, Jul 26, 2012.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I usually use Luvs and am wondering if there is a better brand out there for tall (and chunky) babies. Annabelle wears 3s at 16 pounds which according to their size is appropriate but leaks out the back when she poops as the Luvs aren't long enough. Help! When she poops through I usually can't save the clothes and I'm kinda sick of throwing things away. :mad:

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I preferred pampers. Luvs leaked on both my older kids, I didn't even bother trying with the twins, went straight to pampers. My older daughter did use huggies, she developed an allergy to pampers around 10 months and I switched to huggies which worked great too. All my kids were big chunky babies except Liam.

3. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My kids were very big as babies and they still are big kids. We always use Huggies and they are great. After they started turning and moving, around 7-8 months we switched to Huggies Little Movers Slip on Diapers - it is much easier to put those on, since they look like underwear when you take them out of the box. I can't stand the smell from Pampers - it gives me headaches, we only used Pampers if someone gave us a box as a gift.

4. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

We've mostly used Pampers and have only had a couple of leaks. Adira is not a huge baby, but she's not small either and I just moved her up to size 2s. She did leak a couple of times out of the size 1s, I think because they were too small.

I do agree about the Pampers smell, though. I didn't realize that was specific to the brand!

5. Josie2003

Josie2003 Member

I'm having a hard time too. At my son's 6 month appointment he was 27" and 18lbs 6oz. I was using the Pampers overnights but he wakes up every morning wet. I tried the Luv's and they are doing the same thing. I used Huggies when he was a newborn and didn't care for them - I didn't think they fit well. Maybe now it would be different.

Anyone have success moving up a size for overnight? He's in 3's right now. I was going to try the Target brand next.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We had tons of problems with leaking at that age and size, too. I've always found that the Target brand diapers work really well for us. Second is Pampers. You could also try going up a size - I always had to go up a size at least a few pounds before the package said.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ack! The Target ones are terrible for my boys (who do not have Annabelle's body shape at all)... size 3s are supposed to start at 16 pounds and go from there. As she was 16 pounds last week I'm a little hesitant to move up to 4s. :)

I guess I'll give Pampers a whirl again. We started with Swaddlers which I liked but switched due to price. :thanks:

8. Danibell

For comparison's here, Kaelyn was 9lbs 13oz at birth, skipped newborn everything and went straight to size 1 diapers and BIG 0-3 month clothes, or some 3-6 month clothes! ;) Pampers covered her chubby tushie perfectly. She more than double her size in just a couple of months. I did have to move her up very quickly, she was in size 4's by the time she was 10 months old, but then she stayed in 4's for a very very long time after that. As soon as the leaks overnight started I'd move the kids up a size and it always worked.

As I said she developed an allergic reaction to pampers diapers around 10 months old and I had to switch to huggies. They worked just as well although the pampers seemed to cover a bit better, but no major leaks with huggies either.

9. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I use Pampers for my chunkster. He was 20 lbs at his 6 month check up, 8 lbs 8 oz at birth. I do like the Target brand too but I don't have a Target close by so I go with Pampers. I do the auto delivery from Amazon too so they aren't too expensive.

10. Josie2003

Josie2003 Member

I was at Target today and realized that I only had Pampers Baby Dry which were supposed to work up to 12 hours. They had the overnights which I thought the Baby Dry was. So, I will try the overnights. The clerk did say I could return them if they don't work out. So, next will be going up a size if these don't work.

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I liked Huggies diapers. At that age, I was cloth diapering Evan, but I did not like Pampers... seemed to leak.

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

after Swaddlers the Pampers baby dry gave my kids HORRIBLE diaper rash - so we went to Huggies...

I realize the package says they start at 16 lbs but going up a size was always the answer to leakage issues - regardless of weight...

and I found Huggies Overnights to be much better than Pampers...

13. Danibell

Yes, I'm posting again! :lol: I actually hated the baby dry and had to have the cruisers, baby dry smelled and leaked but the cruisers didn't.

I think that's all I can think of now! :lol:

14. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had a 10 lb newborn, a really big baby, and I also used Luvs for my girls and they were fine. But for # 3 I had the exact same problem with poop in the Luvs. I had to put him in Huggies until he got a little bit older and was on baby food. The Pampers Overnights were so bad with my big baby - every morning he woke up covered in the gel from the diaper! It was so bad I wrote to Pampers about it. Huggies Overnights are so much better for my baby, and he is a big guy.

15. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I've always used target brand unless we were given something else. They leak less for us than Huggies. For overnights I've started putting the twins in a diaper one size larger than what they wear for during the day and it has worked WONDERS for reducing the number of times that we do laundry.