best blankets for swaddling

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by healer27, Jul 26, 2010.

1. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has found really good blankets for TIGHT swaddling that babies can't get out of. I bought some blankets at various stores but they are either too big or to small can't find any that are just right.. The best ones seem to be the ones we brought home from the hospital but they are getting really worn out after washing them a zillion times. I was looking online and saw some that have the velcro and similar stuff but wondering if any of these were really worth the money? If any one has used or found a really good swaddling blanket you'd recommend I would love to hear! Swaddling def helps but lots of times even after wrapping them tight they seem to come loose and then wake up.. :babyflips:

2. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I never had any trouble with just regular thin receving blankets (carters brand or soemthing similar). I think the biggest thing is swaddling technique. I had the nurses in the NICU show me how to get the swaddle super tight! I swaddled them until they were 6.5 months with no problems. I tried one (not sure what brand) with some sort of velcro system, but my regular old blanket and swaddle worked better for me personally.

3. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

I agree, regular swaddling blankets are the best. Try to buy the larger size, I think it's 30x40in. Carter's makes them.

4. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

If you decide to go for something other than an actual blanket, I would highly recommend the Miracle Blanket. No velcro, just wrapped material that's virtually impossible to escape. It worked great for my guys that could escape any other swaddle.

Laura

1 person likes this.
  5. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

We got the Halo sleep sack with velcro swaddle wrap and my girls HATED them. The velcro was hard and even though it was on the outside, it still left scratch marks/indentations on their backs. They were also a pain to wash - they came undone, then velcroed to other clothes giving the clothes ugly pulls. Definitely not worth the money.

We have also found the hospital blankets were best size wise (some are really small). Our hospital blankets measure 31 x 37. We're going to have a friend sew us some more. Fabric stores carry some really cute baby flannel.

6. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

I like the Aden & Anais blankets. They are 40x40 and lightweight. My lo's are escape artists though and can get out of them no matter how tight I make it. I now have to swaddle them in the Aden & Anais blankets and then put them into one of the Summer sleep sacks. They can get their arms out of the sleep sacks if I don't swaddle them in the blanket first. This is the best combo I've come up with. My girls are warm natured so I have to use the lightweight blanket and the cotton sleep sack and then keep the ceiling fan on. It works great and since I started doing this they STTN. Good luck. It's a lot of trial and error :)

7. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

Miracle blankets are awesome!

8. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Miracle blankets are the only swaddling blanket I will use they are awesome!!! I love them so much I now give them as baby gifts to all my friends. My ds used his til around 7 months when he was hospitalized for a few days and he couldn't be swaddled. My dd was swaddled until almost 10 months. By the end we had to shoe-horn them into them haha but they loved them!! WELL worth the money!

9. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

10. erin

erin New Member

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Woombie. My twins went from sleeping 3 hours to 6 hours the first night we used them.

11. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Miracle blanket, hands down.

12. hsddc

hsddc Well-Known Member

Two words for you--Miracle. Blanket. We LIVE by them. If done correctly, there is NO way a kid can get out of them. We have 8 of them so at no time are we at a loss for a miracle blanket. It seems complicated to do at first but once you get the hang of it, it's so easy.

13. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

I agree with previous posters, the Miracle Blanket is amazing!

14. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Miracle Blankets!!

15. pegal

pegal Member

Loved swaddle design blankets and also wombie

16. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've heard a lot about miracle blankets-but we never got to that. We always used the Swaddle Me blankets by Kiddopotamus. My dh was a master swaddler! There was no getting out of those! :laughing:

17. healer27

healer27 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I ordered the miracle blanets so we'll see how it goes.. Hopefully it will help them sleep better. I'll post once we get them :db: thanks

18. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

Miracle blankets are one size fits all too so no need to buy the next size up when your little ones grow!

19. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

kiddopotomus swaddleme was our favorite product. totally recommend!

link

20. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We also used the SwaddleMe blankets and really liked them. They are much less expensive than the Miracle Blanket and BRU often has them for sale at buy one, get one for 50% off.

21. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought one to try and found myself fighting with DH as to who got to change and reswaddle the baby in that blanket (v. a receiving blanket) at 2am. We promptly bought 4 more. I did find them on craigslist, too.

22. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

We used the kiddopotamus swaddleme blankets (Velcro) for the first few months and then when they started wiggling out of those we got the miracle blankets. Then they'd kick their legs out of the bottom of those so we double swaddled with the miracle blanket on first followed by the kiddopotamus and that worked like a charm. They were swaddled until they were 7 months old.