Bedtime for almost 3 year olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kelly E, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Kelly E

Kelly E Well-Known Member

Just wondering what time everyone's three year olds go to bed. Mine will be three in may and we try to get them in bed by 7:30-7:45. They seem to never fall asleep before 8:30. Is this too early?

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We do an 8:00 bedtime. Sometimes they don't fall asleep till 8:30 and that's ok with me.

3. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Do they nap? Mine do not nap and go to bed between 7pm and 730pm. They are asleep pretty quickly.

4. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Mine sometimes still take 1 nap & go to bed t 9 PM...

When they don't nap that day they go down at 8 PM.

5. rmetzger

rmetzger Active Member

He takes 1 nap, about 2 hours.
    In bed by 7:45pm but tends to chatter and talk until 8:30 or so.
    Even though he's awake until 8:30 sometimes, he's a total disaster if he's up and about. My friend's thesis was on this self-talk and it's just practice time and quiet time. Doesn't detract from total amount of sleep but doesn't mean they should stay up later either!

6. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

We were putting them to bed around 7:45 and I found that was too late - they were overtired I think, and sometimes wouldn't fall asleep until 9:00. But recently, we've become more strict about getting them in bed between 7:20-7:30, and now they are asleep by 8:00, 8:30 at the latest. That 15 minutes seems to have made a big difference, for some reason. And my boys take a 2 hour nap every day also.

I agree with the pp. I think they need the down time in their crib even if they aren't going to sleep right away.

Michelle

7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My oldest will turn 4 in May. She's going to bed at 7 pm, sometimes 7.30 pm but not later (this was the same at age 3 when she still napped). She stopped napping around age 3 1/2, occassionally she still takes a nap but I don't adjust the bed time much. She has been sleeping 12 hours since 3 months old.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 3 my oldest DD went to bed at 8:00.

9. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Joy naps about 2 hours in the afternoon and goes to bed at the same time as everyone else, between 7:30-8:00pm. She falls asleep by around 8:30 or so.

10. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

Mine are in bed and asleep at 7:00. If they are acting out and overtired from not napping, they go down as early at 6:30. They sleep 12 solid hours. Every day. Naps are inconsitent. I think that they think that naps are over but I need an hour of them in their room to stay on top of other things and not be exhausted.

11. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Do they still nap? Mine go to be by 7/7:30 most nights now, but they don't nap anymore. They wake up around 7/7:30 am. When they were napping they went to be at 8 and sometimes took an hour to fall asleep.

12. Rachel P

Rachel P Well-Known Member

My boys slept 12 hours a night and took a 2 hour nap every day until they were 2 1/2. Overnight they cut two hours of sleep out every day, no matter what I did! Instead of cutting out their naps we let them stay up a little later to spend more time with dad in the evenings and I still get my break in the afternoon. So now we head to bed about 8:45 and read stories, etc. They chatter for awhile and fall asleep between 9:30 and 10:00 p.m. They get up at 8:00 a.m. and still take a 2 hour nap. It works for us! :)

13. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

Annika and Natalie seem to be done with naps. We've let them stay up later in the hopes that naps would happen the next day and the only result was a really cranky pair of girls. My older two seemed to grow out of naps at this age too. I'm still enforcing a "quiet time" for my own sanity. I have to get the older two up early for school so a 7 am wake up is unavoidable.

14. firemedic

firemedic Well-Known Member

I think I need to try to adjust bedtime earlier after reading all of this. Mine go to bed around 9pm with no nap and get up around 7am and are grumpy all the time. Thanks ladies.

15. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

My older DD is almost 3.5 and she still takes a nap. So she goes to bed around 8 at night and sleeps till about 7:15 or so. If there is no nap on a certain day, we aim for 7:30.

16. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My boys are 3 and bedtime is 9 and a little later on the weekends. They dont nap on the weekends but they do one nap during the day at daycare.

17. dtlyme

dtlyme Well-Known Member

Mine seem to be dropping napping :shok: but when they were or do on school days their bed time is 7:00. Gives them time to wind down in their cribs and chatter although lately with the no naps they are out pretty quick. On non-school days when they are home with me and they do not nap, bed time is 6:30. And they are out pretty quick!

They are up around 6:15 or so. But are happy chattering in their cribs for 20-30 minutes. Which is lovely and why I am dreading moving them to beds!!

18. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

Mine only nap in the car, so for about an hour a day we take a ride!

They are in bed by 8 latest, (usually more about 7:30) since they wake up at 5:45/6am!