Baths/Showers how often

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Deb C, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Deb C

Deb C Well-Known Member

The shower question in the other post got me thinking about this. How often are your kids taking baths or showers? We have always done an every other day schedule, but I've wondered about doing it more often. With it becoming winter I don't want to dry out their skin.

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I have one that takes a bath every day due to significant eczema (she does "wet therapy"), but she only washes her skin/hair every other bath. My other 2 still bath/shower every other day.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All of my kids take a shower (my oldest DD) or bath (my twins) every other day.

4. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Mine do every other day. If for some reason they shower every day, they just wash hair every other day. I don't think I could take a water bill with them showering every day. LOL Our water and sewage is very expensive for our area.

5. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

We do every other day.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We do roughly 3x/week -- not always on specific days, but we try not to go longer than 2-3 days without a bath. We do wipe their bottoms (still) with Cetaphil lotion every night, which goes a long way towards making them smell more pleasant. But the air is so dry here (especially, though not only, in the winter) that they get all flaky and scaly if they get bathed too often. Plus, it's a pain in the neck.

7. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

We do everyday...full bath, washing from head to toe. I grew up taking a shower or a bath everyday, so it never occurred to me to do anything else. But looking at everyone else's post, I might switch to every other day, especially in the winter. It'll make my life easier!

8. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Twice a week, here. Generally on Wednesday and Saturday. If they get really dirty I'll throw an extra bath/shower in. But, I really don't want their hair/skin to dry out and they don't get that dirty. Normally, a quick wipe of the hands and face are all they need.

9. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Every other day to every three days. My girls don't get overly dirty

10. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

My boys all bathe every day except for the occasional "skip-bath" night. In the winter time I certainly don't mind if they go two days between baths but in the summer, they STINK, and I insist on daily bathing.

11. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Every few days. They hate it SO much .. some days I just don't have the energy to fight with them. You might think I was torturing them ! lol

12. Deb C

Deb C Well-Known Member

Michelle, I don't like giving them showers! They pretty much do it themselves, but I stay in the bathroom & check to make sure they get their hair washed well & Paige gets the right amount of conditioner. But seriously, I hate it! When we did baths I wanted to cry. LOL A lot of parents love that part of the day, not me!

13. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

We attempt an every other day shower schedule. But Cassie is being a pickle about taking one lately and its become a battle I don't want to fight anymore.

Mine are almost 10, on the cusp of puberty and need a shower or bath at least every other day. Their dr has always recommended no more than every other day unless they REALLY needed it. Holly is more than happy to take a shower whenever I suggest it, so no problem there (except she sometimes forgets when she's at Daddy's). Cassie on the other hand, has been such a pain in the behind lately about taking a shower, I finally told her 'fine, don't shower, you will smell funny, your hair will be greasy and flakey, your friends will notice and tease you about it. When it happens don't come complaining to me. You need a shower every other day, but I'm done fighting with you to do it"

So that's the way its going to be. She pushes the limits of cleanliness, but she will learn she needs to be clean more often. If we are doing something where she needs to be clean for the sake of the rest of us, I will force the issue, but for now, let peer pressure be a positive influence.

14. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Molly my older kids went through that too .. especially Jill, and then one day I couldn't get her to STOP taking showers ! But I remember having to fight with her and then finally giving up in hopes she would realize for herself.

15. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm hoping for, she'll realize she needs a shower, or her friends will help her realize it.

I SOOO remember Andrea going through this stage, then taking 2 or more a day for a while. With my kids its feast or famine.

16. Gin Elliott

Gin Elliott Well-Known Member

We take showers everyday, we skip sat most of the time. But w/them being in school, allergies ect and GERMS I just feel better that they are clean. I know its bad but I hate them little germs that they pick up at school LOL!

17. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

The pediatrician has always told us to bathe Katelyn no more than twice a week due to her eczema. We've just followed that for both girls but will do quick "sponge" baths and lotion on other days or full-blown baths if it's really needed.

18. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

This. My dr told me to lotion O (who has eczema) daily, but don't bathe her too often because it's so drying. And we use a humidifier. It has really helped.

19. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We are every 2-3 days in winter and every other (or as needed sooner) in summer.

One of my DDs has excema and too often baths make her SO DRY & scaly.

I do every other too and have for as long as I can recall (unless needed), my scalp and skin get itchy from daily showering especially in winter.

DH showers daily with an occasional weekend skip.