Bathing Your Babies...How Often? What Lotion is Best?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Jillianstwins, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Jillianstwins

Jillianstwins Well-Known Member

My babies will be 4 weeks old tomorrow....wondering how often you all bathe your newborns. Their umbilical stumps fell off at two weeks and we have bathed them twice a week since they fell off.

Curious to also know what natural bath products you use--baby bath and lotion. Both Maeve and Will's skin is flaking off all over, even on their scalps. Our pediatrician and the visiting nurse commented that it is totally normal, but I was wondering if there is a nice natural baby bath and lotion that will help reduce the flakiness.

Share with me what you are using and what you like! Would love your input :) thanks! ~jillian

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

For about the whole first year, we used Mustela . It is a great product. I was only able to find it at BRU. It was very gentle.

3. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I do baths every other night or sometimes the third night.
    I use Aveeno. Its what I have always used on me, I love their products.

4. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

I give the babies a bath every other day.....they are so oily by the end of the second day that I have to give them a bath. Mine are 6 weeks old now and their skin is finally done peeling.....it took forever! I use Johnson and Johnson Head to Toe body wash on them and then the Johnson and Johnson lotion in the pink bottle. I don't think their is much you can do for the peeling skin on their bodies, but with mine I used this little scrubby thing from the hospital on their scalps and that helped with the peeling skin their heads.

5. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

I bath mine every evening. I use Johnson and johnson "soothing naturals'.

6. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

At that age I bathed them every 3 days or so, now it's every other day minimum, sometimes every day (if they have been particularly pukey). I use Johnson and Johnson Baby wash (I just squirt it right in the tub) and their Grins and Giggles lotion. I don't put any lotion on their face or hands, but always their belly, back, arms, legs, and tooshy. The peeling skin is totally normal and will go away on it's own, bathing them too often can sometimes make the flaky skin worse. I freaked about that as well.

7. gregje101

gregje101 Well-Known Member

man looking at everyones post i feel bad i quess. they get a bath once a week and sometimes thats pushing it~ i feel guilty now. but how in the world do some of ya'll do it every night?!!? :good:

8. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gregje @ Jan 23 2008, 10:36 PM) [snapback]586874[/snapback]
    man looking at everyones post i feel bad i quess. they get a bath once a week and sometimes thats pushing it~ i feel guilty now. but how in the world do some of ya'll do it every night?!!? :good:

We actually do our bath in the morning, it's much easier as at night the babies are cranky and getting out of that warm water into the cold air just makes them mad. I usually will do it right after morning bottles, they are pretty content and patient at that time. One baby sits in the bouncy and "watches" while I bathe the other baby and then vice versa. We take quick baths though, 3 minutes in the water tops.

And don't feel bad, if they aren't dirty, they don't need washing. We would probably do it less but I have 2 major pukers and those darn chin folds start to smell and their hair starts to get crusty if we don't bathe them.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(belinda07 @ Jan 23 2008, 09:30 PM) [snapback]586859[/snapback]

That is what I use also, and I give mine a bath every morning. They love bath time so much so I enjoy it too! I find that the wipes with the soap in them - the disposable cloths - Huggies brand I think with the lotion- those make my babies hair so soft and nice with no scalp flakes - when I use the all-over wash stuff they also get flaky scalp, those disposable cloths are the only thing that works, I wash their hair every other day.

Edited to add - I also use baby lotion on them every day - not on their faces or heads but on their bodies - they love to get a little massage with lotion and then they smell so good!

10. gregje101

QUOTE(xavier2001 @ Jan 23 2008, 11:41 PM) [snapback]586885[/snapback]
    And don't feel bad, if they aren't dirty, they don't need washing. We would probably do it less but I have 2 major pukers and those darn chin folds start to smell and their hair starts to get crusty if we don't bathe them.

yeah i am lucky they dont spit up and stay clean, thank god because there is not enough hours in the day to everything i want to do or NEED to do ;)

11. mandyanna

mandyanna Well-Known Member

Mine get a bath twice a week usually, but we are trying solids so this week it has been 3x's I use the head to toe body wash and then depending on the mood of the babe I use different lotions, if they are cranky I use the lavender bedtime kind it is WONDERFUL but I generally use Eucerin.

12. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We use Johnsons & Johnson's products on DD and Aveeno products on DS (he has some ecsema). Sometime I will use Aquaphor if he is has some particularly bad spots. They get baths every other day.

13. Erin92702

Erin92702 Active Member

I don't have my twins here yet (but only a few weeks to go!), but with both my other children, I've always used and absolutely love Burt's Bees natural products.

I use the Burts Bees Tear Free Shampoo and Body Wash for bathing and follow up with their Baby Bee Lotion, all over including face and diaper area (excluding actual genitals) after and between baths. The products smell WONDERFUL! And I love that there are no chemicals or unnatural ingredients.

FWIW, I also use their baby oil, diaper cream, non-talc diaper powder, etc.

- Erin ~ SAHM to Ava (4), Keller (19 mo) and identical twins expected to arrive in the next few weeks

14. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

At 4 weeks old I gave them a bath probably every 3 days using J&J Head to toe wash and Baby lotion (pink stuff). Since about 3 months old, they get a bath every other night and I still use head to toe and the pink lotion, but now I wash their hair with the J&J baby shampoo.

15. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

At that age (4 weeks), mine were probably getting baths about twice a week. I had difficulty breastfeeding at that time and between the two of them, it took almost an hour for a feeding session (at least every two hours). It came down to "Do I nurse them or try to bathe them?" And nursing was more important. Now, at 8 months, they usually get a bath every other night...basically since we started solids at 6 months. I've mostly used Burt's Bees products, but only because someone gave us some soaps/lotions as gifts. I really like them, but they're pretty expensive. I'll probably look into some Aveeno products as well. For quite a while we used an Apricot Oil from Burt's Bees that I really liked. I usually put a little capful in their bath water, and you can use it for an after bath massage as well.

16. Boni

Boni Well-Known Member

QUOTE(belinda07 @ Jan 24 2008, 03:30 AM) [snapback]586859[/snapback]

Me too. from birth, it was part of their night time routine

17. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I bathe one baby every morning while the other is napping. It is so easy like that. I was doing it every night at first but that wore me out. I have two older kids that need mommy too. Then both every other night. Now, I just bathe one every morning. So easy and we can actually bond while they are bathing b/c the other one is asleep. I just get overwhelmed if both need a bath at the same time. One is not as bad at a time. I use Johnson and Johnson too.

18. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

We use Burts bees as well. As pp said it doesn't have alot of the chemicals as others have AND they do not test any of the ingredients on animals. It smells really good too!

ETA: I also use Burts bees, the orange face wash is GREAT, along with the avocado hair product!

19. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

We just saw the DR yesterday and this is what she told us to do since their skin is SOOO dry and sensitive.
    She said only a bath once a week with no soap and that they should be wiped down daily with Chamomile tea and that we should not use any lotion with fragrance in it , vasoline or aquaphor are the best.
    Sooo...I thought it was a little weird...the whole tea thing but we will give it a try.
    I seriously don't know how you all give baths everyday....to me it's such a long and tiring job! Oh, well...

20. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

QUOTE(belinda07 @ Jan 23 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]586859[/snapback]

I bath mine every evening also and this is what i use. I also use aveeno lotion. My dd has exema (sp?) or really dry patches and it really helps and makes their skin sooooo soft.

21. gregje101

QUOTE(melissak @ Jan 24 2008, 11:40 AM) [snapback]587321[/snapback]
    I seriously don't know how you all give baths everyday....to me it's such a long and tiring job! Oh, well...

i am with you on that!! my 3 year old is lucky she get a bath everynight!! :D

22. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KJS @ Jan 24 2008, 07:21 AM) [snapback]587047[/snapback]
    We use Johnsons & Johnson's products on DD and Aveeno products on DS (he has some ecsema). Sometime I will use Aquaphor if he is has some particularly bad spots. They get baths every other day.

I do the same. J&J on DS1 and Aveeno on DS2 (due to cradle cap). And I use Aquafor on the bad spots. BUT, I only bathe them about twice a week and sometimes, it's only once a week.

Cary

23. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My kids all had dry skin so I only bathed them once a week. We used California Baby products and really liked them.

24. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We bathe every other day for the most part, and we love to use natural products! Some are:

Baby bath (powdered buttermilk bath is especially fun & soft) from www.NorthernEssence.com

Erba Organics Baby Lotion - smells sooo good, and really moisturizes great!

25. hogbeast

hogbeast Active Member

my babies both had the flaky scalp stuff too- it's gross but it goes away in about a week or so- I would highly recommend the kiehl's baby stuff-
    they have an apricot lotion that is wonderful- i use it on myself too- i have incredible sensitive skin and excema!

26. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

at that age i did every two days and i have pretty well alwasy used the JnJ night time calming because i love the smell and always have gien baths at night. :)