Balanced meals for 10 month old

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Fran27, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what kind of meals everyone is giving their 10 months old?

I hate cooking and the prospect of having to make real balanced meals to the babies soon is overwhelming at the moment...

2. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

We eat fairly healthy and we feed the babies whatever we eat. I will give you a few sample bkfst/ lunch/snack/ dinner we use at our house. All things are cooked very soft or cut very small!

Bkfst:
    banana slices scrambled eggs bagel
    waffles toast cut in strips applesauce
    yogurt

Lunch:
    lunch meat or lil smokies or chicken strips
    vegetable (green beans, corn, sweet potato cubed, carrots, mushrooms)
    my 2 love BEANS! Just open a can of kidney beans, or black beans etc rince, heat and serve. they love to pick them up.
    chicken noodle Os soup (drain the broth), vegetable soup (just drain it) -- full of heathy finger foods

Snacks:
    graham crackers
    yogurt
    appleasauce
    hard cheese slices
    mum-mums
    fruit cocktail ( again small, great finger food)
    apple very thinly sliced
    frozen fruit like blueberries

Dinner
    Whatever you are having! Just cook it softer and cut it tiny!
    hamburger, fish, fries, pasta, etc

Does this help???

The only things I really havent fed them is oranges/tomatoes/ things that are acidic.

3. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

Like the PP, my twins eat whatever we are eating with few exceptions. We tend to eat fairly healthy as well with few processed foods. Last night we had salmon, and I wasn't comfortable feeding that to them yet so they had leftover pastichio. With the pastichio since it has ground beef in it, I throw it in the magic bullet (gross but they love it). They ate the same creamed spinach we did, as is (seasonings and all - ugh, have you ever tried to eat something that wasn't seasoned???), and roasted cauliflower that I mashed, and half of an avocado. Eating is an Olympic event in my house :lol: . They have had pizza - hilarious! I try to give one finger food and two or more that I feed to them during a meal. They don't have the best aim yet...

I am a firm believer that babies that are allowed to eat "people" food as opposed to jarred or packaged baby/toddler foods eat better their entire lives. I base my beliefs firmly in my own experiences ;) .

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yes that helps! I need to start new stuff, although for now apart from the turkey they've eaten everything we've given them.

Dinner is a pain because we just don't have time to eat before they do, and it's often not that healthy... I thought lunch meat was too salty or something for babies? Because that would be really convenient... I love the soup idea also.

My problem with giving them 'people food' is that mine hate it when I feed them chunky stuff. They want to pick it up themselves, or want some puree without any chunk, so it seriously limits what I can give them.

5. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

Our whole family (just the six of us) all eat together, almost every single night. Feeding the twins is challenging while eating myself, but I know the payoff (children that will sit and eat a meal with their family and think it is normal :cool:) is so totally worth it.

Progresso soups are awesome for babies, lots of different kinds and tons of veggies! They are more expensive, but our market is starting a house brand that is as good. I don't think I would feed my twins lunch meat yet, they just can't chew/swallow it. However, if your kids can eat it you can get low sodium roasted turkey breast from the deli. I always keep a supply of frozen veggies in the house. In a pinch I microwave them in the steam bags and then mash, chop or puree. Unsweetened applesauce is another staple. I don't feed my twins too much meat yet, unless it is in something (like the pastichio).

So lets see...

Frozen veggies
    Applesauce or other fruit puree (easy to microwave steam as well!)
    diced chicken or turkey (cook a few and freeze them in twofer sized portions)

that way, no matter what you and DH eat your twins are covered! (Does that help?)

*edited to add* buy yourself a Magic Bullet or similar, no more problems with chunks! Seriously, I use mine constantly for the twins.

6. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

We usually eat dinner WITH the twins OR if they need to eat before us they have leftovers from the day before.
    Very rarely will they let me spoon feed them unless its yogurt or applesauce. They are totally into self feeding. When I say lunch meat, I guess I mean things like ham & turkey, just cut thin and small like fingernail size :)

wholesomebabyfood website has soom good suggestions for finger foods too - baby finger foods