Balance Bike

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ames4, May 11, 2009.

1. ames4

ames4 Well-Known Member

Have any of you purchased a balance bike for your kids? If so, what brand did you get, and what is a good age? Any cons to getting one?

My DS who will be 3 in August has not been able to get the pedaling down on a trike, or his little Hot Wheel. He gets frustrated when his twin, and my older DD ride bikes. He just uses his feet to propel himself. Any suggestions?

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I didn't buy them because they weren't available here--but just this saturday I walked by the bike shop and they had TWO! now DH and I are trying to decide if they are too old for them. My girls can pedel fine, but we are anxious to get rid of the training wheels. Your son sounds like the right age, I've heard nothing but positive reviews of them--there are a couple of old threads in the 2-4 forum if you do a search.

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

We got Trek Float bikes for my kids. They're great! Catherine only rode hers without pedals about half a dozen times before we put the pedals in. Now she is riding and two wheeler and never used training wheels at all.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do you mean a bike with training wheels? I guess I'm not sure what a balance bike it. :unsure: Emilie is riding a 12 inch bike with training wheels now. I am in the process of looking for one for Trevor. We had the one Emilie uses from our oldest DD.

5. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

We just got my DD one for her 3rd birthday. Most of them don't have the option to attach pedals when they're ready for them, so you'd have to buy a 2nd bike for that.

We got her the Playskool Glide 2 Ride bike because you can put the pedals on later. It seems very sturdy. We ordered it online and had it shipped. I'm excited for her to learn to do it, she's just starting out right now!

6. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(summerfun @ May 12 2009, 07:57 AM) [snapback]1310159[/snapback]
    Do you mean a bike with training wheels? I guess I'm not sure what a balance bike it. :unsure:

Balance bikes have no pedals or training wheels. Kids sit on them and push with their feet until they are able to balance like you would on a regular bike. They go straight from that to pedaling, never needing training wheels. It means they can start on a bike at a younger age and if they're older can learn to balance on a bike a lot faster than with training wheels. IT's such a cool idea, it's getting more popular now.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(artemis @ May 12 2009, 02:24 PM) [snapback]1310517[/snapback]
    Balance bikes have no pedals or training wheels. Kids sit on them and push with their feet until they are able to balance like you would on a regular bike. They go straight from that to pedaling, never needing training wheels. It means they can start on a bike at a younger age and if they're older can learn to balance on a bike a lot faster than with training wheels. IT's such a cool idea, it's getting more popular now.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

8. stephe

stephe Well-Known Member

We got some made by Strider. My Dh is a bike enthusiast and insisted the boys needed on instead of a bike with training wheels. I didn't see the need of them but glad he convinced me. They are so cool!

I actually just took a video of Cooper last night riding his. They just turned three on 4/20 and got them for their Birthday. I was shocked how fast they picked it up. Eli isn't as interested b/c he likes to spend his time "talking" and snacking, :)

Link to video. Please excuse my hick accent
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=8b448...medium=text_url

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

:huh: I have never seen one before! I was thinking of getting bikes for the twins 3rd bday...hmmm.

10. luxlady

luxlady Active Member

We live in Europe and these bikes are very popular over here. For their 2nd birthday in December we got my boys a PUKY learner (German brand but I think you they sell them in the U.S.) http://www.puky.net/homepage/produkte/lauf.../uebersicht.htm

They make one that is very small and it was the only one that my little shrimps could fit on in the beginning. We've finally been able to raise the seat up a bit. The LOVE them and picked it up so quickly. They zip around everywhere now on the bikes and even ride them around the house as well. I highly recommend them.

11. Julia Hulsey

Julia Hulsey Well-Known Member

12. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(stephe @ May 14 2009, 02:04 PM) [snapback]1313961[/snapback]
    We got some made by Strider. My Dh is a bike enthusiast and insisted the boys needed on instead of a bike with training wheels. I didn't see the need of them but glad he convinced me. They are so cool!

I actually just took a video of Cooper last night riding his. They just turned three on 4/20 and got them for their Birthday. I was shocked how fast they picked it up. Eli isn't as interested b/c he likes to spend his time "talking" and snacking, :)

Link to video. Please excuse my hick accent
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=8b448...medium=text_url

VERY COOL!! He's a natural!! Can you put the pedals on for him later?

13. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I was going to get the Trek Float for my older DD, but by the time I got around to it, she was too big for it (she needed an 18-inch bike, and the Float is 16 inches).

But, we learned that you can take the pedals off any bike, and presto, you have a balance bike.

Since my DD hasn't even been on the bike she got for Christmas yet (she's soooo not the outdoorsy type), we're thinking of doing this, because I think it will help her learn quickly.

To the OP -- your kiddo might enjoy the balance bike, and it will definitely teach him balance -- BUT, he's still not going to learn to pedal with it, obviously. That's sort of a separate issue.

ETA -- I'm actually considering balance bikes for my younger two for their 2nd birthdays, and I'll let them ride in the house. I know Karina will love it -- she's mastered the twist car already, and rides all over -- and I think it might benefit Kevan's strength and coordination issues.