Bad Sleeping Habits after being sick

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bennysusie, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bennysusie

bennysusie Active Member

Has anyone ever had this happen? My eighteen month old daughters never fussed when we put them down for the night. Then they both got very sick for about two weeks and were basically sleeping with us. Now they are healthy and scream when we put them down for the night. Now we would do CIO, but one of my daughters throws up if she cries too hard and I just can't do that to her. She also falls asleep relatively easily, if she lays in our bed. My other daughter sees that her sister is not there and of course doesn't want to stay in her crib. She is impossible to get to sleep and can sometimes be up until 9:30. Their bedtime used to be between 7:00 and 7:30. Help as I am now dread bedtime.

TIA!

2. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

This sort of thing has happened to me too. I can tell you what I do but mine are in seperate rooms so they dont know if the other was there or not. I let them cry for a bit, (a few minutes) then go lay them down again, do this over and over until they realise they are not coming out. They just have to get back into their routine, it's so hard sometimes isn;t it. Failing that I give one her dummy and put my son (which is like your DD who crys really hard) and sit him on the couch with me til he goes to sleep or almost and then I transfer him to his bed.
    I know that's not much help but ........that;s what I do......good luck.

3. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

That happened to us. The boys started STTN at 3 months. About two months later they got ear infections and it stopped the STTN. Hope you guys get it worked out soon.

Dianna

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This type of thing happens to mine when they come home from their grandparents. I just let them CIO if I know they are tired.

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Yes, this sounds normal. Try soothing and rocking when they are upset, then putting them down with some music, like from a soother. It'll just take a beat for them to get past this.