Back talking and "swearing"

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MrsWright, Oct 31, 2012.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know my boys aren't 5 yet, or even 4 but I figured you moms might have more experience.
    We've been having a horrible time with the boys mouths! The back talk doesn't bother me too much bc even though its annoying they still go to time out as they are mouthing. The bad words are driving me up a wall though! The major ones (and I know some would disagree but to me their too little yet) is stupid and then they learned dammit from my mother in law! Luckily they don't say that often but the stupid has progressed to stupid girl or stupid poopy butt, etc, and now have my daughter saying it!:/
    Anyways what do you do? When I send them to time out they just giggle at themselves and say it in their room...and theyre alone!!!! I was thinking of taking a piece of their Halloween candy for every bad word/back talk, like a swear jar......unless you can help me?!?! Pleeeeeeease help me!!!!

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

What cut the swearing out of my two was simply ignoring it - if it didn't get a laugh it lost its fun eventually...

at least your kids favorite word is stupid...at 4 my kids fave was a$$hole...

another thing an English teacher taught us once is they are only words - we give them the meaning!

2 people like this.
  3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Honestly, we did soap in the mouth. My method was to brush their teeth with a soapy toothbrush (learned that from my Grandmother!). My husband would make them sit with a bar of soap in their mouth for like five minutes. Each one only did it once, though. Straightened them out super quick!

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's what the daycare director said she does with her kids but what about at daycare? Do I tell the teachers to give me notes and do it at home? Or do something different? They have a chart at daycare and I do give them treats now and then if they are at the top at the end of the day and the teachers said they do warn them with "you won't get your treat from mommy" in order to get them to stop and not get "bumped" on the chart....I'm just at a loss!

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

At that age, I wouldn't punish them for stuff that happens at daycare. Because it happens after the crime, they don't really "get" it. I would probably just let the daycare handle that, then give them a talking to about it later. It's most likely just a phase anyway. Hopefully someone has better advice than me!

1 person likes this.