Babysitting rates for twins in big city?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LouCee, Mar 14, 2008.

1. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

DH is the SAHP. We're in the middle of my busy season at work so I am doing OT and DH is worn out. We need help. I've looked at sittercity.com but I don't know what the rate would be for 2-1/2 year old twin boys.

If you live in a big city, what do you pay a sitter per hour?

Thanks.

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I'm not in the city, but in Westchester $10/hour and I'd think you could do the same in NYC. My SIL is in the city and has sitters (and two kids under three y.o.), and I don't know where she gets them but I'm sure they are GOOD. If you want me to ask her I can. Just let me know.

3. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

chicago for teenagers i have to pay $7-10 hr.

4. momlissa

momlissa Well-Known Member

We're in the SF Bay Area in California, some of the highest prices for pretty much everything...

The price for a babysitter for 2 is typically anywhere from $16 (low end) to $22 an hour, depending on if it's a high school girl, someone more experienced, etc. I would estimate at least $20 an hour in NYC.

5. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

Boston is pretty much on the same pay scale for sitters. 12 would be the low end, 15 is average and 18-20 would be high end.
    A regular full time nanny with a lot of experience/education and/or someone who does housework other than cleaning up after the kids would be slightly higher

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I paid $15 in Chicago for my twins (when they were 3-13 months old). My understanding is that one child is usually $10-12 ($10 for little work, evening hours, etc.) and two or more are $13-15. We're talking experienced nannies and baby sitters. I also had a student and paid her $10-11. I don't anybody in Chicago who pays less than $10, but then most people I know have sitters in their 20s and older.

7. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I live in Toronto and pay $12 per hour (to an adult who is overqualified).

8. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

I live Southern California (big city) and it depends... I just hired one, so my 9 (almost 10) year old can get use to her before my twins arrive and she is getting $15… and she has twin experience… but I have friends that pay $20+ an hour for College educated babysitters/Nannies… and friends who pay $12 under the table for illegal… and some have gotten as low as $10 if speaking English isn’t an issue (but not for twins just 2 small kids)… my DH speaks Spanish but I don’t… so it wasn’t an option like it is for some of my friends who speak it fluently… New York… I asked my Bro (Who lives in Manhattan… but can’t afford it) and he said $17 would be the average, but if you want to keep her you have to give her a raise quick… HTH

9. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

I paid $13 an hour in Chicago

10. dan&gab2007

dan&gab2007 Active Member

I live in NYC and I pay $17 for someone who works at their daycare center. I think you can prob. try for $14 to $18. It depends on where in NYC, the age of the sitter, and experience with twins. i found if they are experienced with twins, they want more $$$$.

11. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

We pay $12/hr for evening/weekend babysitting to our ex-nanny and "teachers" from the twins day care. I have a 5yo and 22 month old twins. We live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia so things are pretty pricey. We don't expect babysitters to clean, do wash etc.

12. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

Thanks Ladies! :D Rates sure do go from one extreme to the other.

This is actually a high school teacher who does have experience with special needs children. One of my boys is on the spectrum so she was interested and said salary is negotiable. We haven't yet met because DH now says he may want someone during the day as opposed to the evening.

13. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

Wow...I should quit my job and just babysit... I could actually make more an hour!