Babysitting Payment

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by shannonfilteau, Aug 17, 2007.

1. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

I am a new Mom and have only left my babies with close, close friends and with my Mom (and with my husband of course) and am starting to feel comfortable with the idea of leaving them with a sitter for a night out w/ the husband once and a while; I am wondering what one pays for a twin sitter. My babies generally are very well behaved and happy so I am guessing that this person could handle it pretty well once they get to know them. Do you pay double b/c there is two of them? I have a few women in mind that are interested and a bit older, so it wouldn't be a younger highschool kid that you could pay less to just play with them. Also, would the price be the same if I used them in the daytime for a few hours? I hate to ask a stupid question but who else can I ask, I don't know anyone else with twins.. Thanks for being there and offering advice when I need it, don't know what I did or how I survived before I found this site!

2. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

I only leave them with experienced adult babysitters (24+) (one of mine nannied for twins before), and I pay $15 an hour.

3. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

I think this also depends on the area you're in and what typical rates for daycare would be. I pay about $260/wk for both boys for fulltime daycare. That's about $7/hr. I plan on paying our sitters about $10/hr. I figure $5 per kid per hour seemed reasonable to me...especially if odds are extremely high that they will be asleep the entire time.

Hope that helps. Shannon

4. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I just found myself in a desperate situation. My new sitter canceled(quit) and I had to go to work. So, I hired (one day) two teenagers to watch my 5 kids (ages 10, 8, 5 and 2x 7 weeks). ~panic mode~ Anyway, they did a good job. My boys helped. I paid them $60 total for 8 hours. So, it was $7.50 an hour and they had to split it.

5. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

We also pay $15 a hour but for all three of our kids. For our nanny she makes $125 a day for the twins for 8 hours.

6. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

We pay $10/hr but were willing to pay more - she just accepted that offer. I think the going rate is anywhere from $10-15/hr in our area . . .

7. swiertel

swiertel Well-Known Member

We've had two nannies and I paid one $10 and the other $15.

8. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

We pay my BF's mom $6/hr for both, but I take the girls there and it's under the table. :pardon: She takes care of her granddaughters all day, needs the money and is like family. It works out very well for all of us. They're only there 10-15 hrs a week, though or we couldn't do even that much!

9. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

In Chicago, $12 is about the average rate for one child and most people pay $14-15 for 2 or more. Nanny that is, not home day care, etc.

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

$7!! My babysitter is AWESOME!! (I ALWAYS give her MORE $$, but that's the rate!)

11. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

For babysitting, we pay $8 an hour, and that covers all 3 kids.