babysitter pay rate?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by daisies, Jan 24, 2014.

1. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I can't believe they are TWO!  time was flying.. until this week when they got sick.  at the moment it cant be night time fast enough!

And i really need a break! lol  Until now it has been all me (and DH) except when my folks come to visit.  they will watch the kids for us to go out.  I NEED to find a local sitter!

How do you find your sitters?
    And how much do you pay a baby sitter?  
    This would be a couple hours in the evening (with kids already sleeping) and maybe 2 or 3 hours during the day.. while i get somethings done outside around the farm.  It would not be a regular job.. call as needed kinda thing.

TIA!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do about $10/hour. Maybe a little less if they are sleeping. 

As to how to find someone, start putting the word out and keeping your eyes peeled. Their first sitter was their baby-swim class teacher who was a lifeguard. I could tell she really liked our kids and was already certified in everything. After that it was a lot of our friends who have older kids, but when I moved away I didn't know anybody. I called local churches and asked if there were any young people who would be interested and asked that they have them call me. 

Now, I am luckier as my parents have moved 4 houses down and they typically can take the kids whenever I need them to. 

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've also used older teens of friends as well as done a lot of babysitting exchanges with other parents. For the exchanges we don't pay other than in reciprocal hours - although we aren't too strict about it being exact. For older teens, we pay between $10-$15/hr depending on how many kids, awake or asleep, etc. If my brother and his girlfriend watch the kids, we pay them with really nice beer. ;)

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We exchange with our neighbors/friends or we just ask around for recommendations for other parents. We've borrowed nannies. Also look at organizations in your community for preschool type programs or date nights. Our gymnastics center has date nights where you can drop the kids off for a 2-3 hour class and go have dinner. The leisure center had a drop off preschool type program during the day if you need that too.

The rates for babysitters in our city are STUPID. $10/hr seems very reasonable to me. People here have tried to charge me as high as $25, at which point I cancel my plans.

5. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

The first sitters we used we found from our church. I think calling a local church would be a good first step, especially if you don't have any of your own local contacts.