Baby Wearing

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mhardman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I love my ring sling and wear it all the time. I used it some with my first set and use it even more now. I have a bad back and they are getting big enough now that if I wear them for more than 30 min my back is really hurting. Wondering if anyone does another type that doesn't hurt the back as much. Wondering about a mai tai. I think the moby wrap would be too confusing but I am sure I could get used to it if it would help my back.

Any suggestions??

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I thought the Moby wrap would be confusing also, but have recently started using it in my work as a postpartum doula - I loan mine to clients so they can try it out. So far, I've had to go back & buy 3 because my clients want to keep them! Once you've put it on a few times, it becomes second nature. I haven't, however, tried it with twins, but it seems to me that it would work really well. Do you know anyone who owns one who might be willing to lend it to you for a few days to see if you like it before you buy one?

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I have both a ring sling and a classic wrap-around. The tying and positioning of the wrap takes a bit of practice (I practiced with teddy bears during the pregnancy), but I could carry both babies in that wrap up to about 12 months. If you tie it correctly it distributes the weight and strain over your back and is a lot easier on the back than the sling. You will need a long wrap to carry both babies at the same time.

GL - I hope you find something to ease your back, all that carrying is a huge strain.

4. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

My Ergo puts zero strain on my back.

5. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

LOVE my Moby...I had back problems after having the girls and found that it helped...less strain then carrying them without it. I thought it would be confusing as well but it's really easy once you get the hang of it. I also had a ring sling with my son but got rid of it for the same reason you mentioned...I found once he got to a certain weight it hurt more than it helped so I switched to a wrap and have never looked back!

I still use it for my girls (one at a time) and they are about 24lbs now. I just used it the other day for a walk with my cranky, whinny, teething baby who has refused to be put down for the last week or so and it felt like I was hardly carrying anything. My son likes when I wear one too because it means he actually gets to sit in the stroller if he wants a ride instead of on the foot rest :).

6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I, too, like to Moby. You can adjust it across your shoulders and back for better weight distribution. :)

7. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

SOunds like I should try a moby. Everyone seems to like them. Has anyone made one? I don't really want to pay the price.

8. ECUBitzy

I think if you google it you could find a how-to. You want a fabric with some elasticity and you'll need to buy some substantial yardage (you only one one seam in the center that needs to be well reinforced). Totally doable, though.

9. ECUBitzy

http://www.ehow.com/m/how_5277352_make-wrap-baby-wearing.html

Here's one how- to.

10. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

We use baby bjorn's and love em! As for wraps, we use a Leo Storchweigne and they're amazing! you can go on you tube and it shows you how to wrap babies and the different carries. its a more sturdy wrap -- more so than the moby. i found the moby is too stretchy and only really good while they're infants. the next carrier i want to get is an Ergo. They are amazing!!!!!

11. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I had 2 (one for DH and one for me) and I got them second hand so you could try that route. Mine were in excellent condition even though they were used.

12. michelle_m

michelle_m Well-Known Member

I use a moby. It only took me about 3 or 4 times to be able to do it without looking at the instruction booklet. I haven't tried it with both babies yet - I'm a little intimidated.