Baby Proofing help

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sistersbeall, Dec 20, 2010.

1. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

So we have fitted all of the drawers in the kitchen with the Safety 1st drawer latches and they do not work. They worked for about a month or so, but they don't catch anymore. My girls are so incredibly nosy and they refuse to stay out of the drawers in the kitchen. Especially the ones with the batteries, scissors, tape etc and the silverware and knives. I am wondering what you use to keep your twins out of the drawers in your house. There has to be something that works better than what we have. It has gotten so bad I have actually resorted to taping my drawers shut on occasion.

2. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

We never baby proofed the drawers. We chose to rearrange the drawers so the plastic containers were in a bottom drawer and could redirect them to that drawer. Then we just taught them not to open the other drawers. IT took a lot of patience and consistency but well worth the effort.

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I also move stuff they can't be in out of the way. For now, they are not allowed in the kitchen at all since we have tile and they are not great walkers. I will just keep "safe" stuff in the lower drawers once they start going in there.

4. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

We are also keeping our girls out of the kitchen with gates right now - it's just too much to babyproof and we also have a hard tile floor. But, when our son was little, we used a combination of the behind-the-door clip latches (like: Clip Latch ) and on the cabinet below the sink, where all of the chemicals were, we used a magnetic lock that you had to have the "key" for like this one: Magnetic Lock

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I installed these drawer locks on a couple of kitchen drawers and I really like them (they can be used for cabinets too). They are a much more rigid plastic, unlike the flimsy Safety 1st plastic which bends too much. The clearance also isn't as wide as what Safety 1st allows, which is good IMO, so our LOs aren't able to get their hand in the cracked drawer. These locks even have a "hook" thingy that prevents the drawer from closing on their little fingers. Lastly I thought they were very easy to install and I didn't cuss near as much as when I first attempted to install some Safety 1st drawer/cabinet locks :)

ETA: This pack of Safe Loks is a better buy.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The way our drawers are configured we can't use any of the safety latches.. or at least I am not willing to spend more money on more brands to figure out ones that work. We just took the handles off the drawers in their play area because they're just storage drawers that we don't use that much. In the kitchen and bathrooms I just redirect them from the drawers and teach them not to touch.. it's a bit nervewracking but they're getting it.

7. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

we didnt baby proof the drawers either but ours are up "high" meaning just under the counter. For the cabinets, we moved all of the chemicals to the garage and didn't latch any of those either. Mine won't play with something if we don't make a fuss. When they open a cabinet or drawer, I watch them but help them shut it after they have explored it a little bit.