Baby is Reluctant to Self-Feed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], Aug 2, 2010.

1. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I have a question that pertains to my 10-month-old singleton, so I hope you don't mind it's not twin-related. Did any of you guys have an older baby that didn't show any interest in self-feeding? I give her puffs on her tray at each meal as well as small chunks of soft banana, soft beans, and some bits of the twins food that is soft. She'll play with them, but won't put them in her mouth. She never tries to grab the spoon as I'm feeding her and fusses when I put a spoon in her hand so she can dip it in the baby food.

The only thing I can get her to feed herself is a cracker. She can drink water from a sippy well. She'll eat lumpy food, and will eat puffs, cheerios, etc. if I feed them to her but seems put-off by the crunchy foods.

She's crawling and pulling up, and uses her hands well with her toys, etc.

I'm starting to worry that she should be eating table food 60 short days from now, and she's not at all interested.

Did anyone else have a baby like this and did you do anything to encourage them to feed themselves? Will it just "click" for her one day?

I keep it very light and don't make an issue out of it, as I've learned with the twins that getting stressed about a feeding issue just amplifies it, but I would like to see her take some interest in feeding herself.

Thank you!

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Jack was a late starter when it came to self-feeding. I can't remember the exact age when he finally "got" it, but I think it was around 10 months old. It was totally like you said; one day it just "clicked"! I literally have a picture of him sitting there looking sad with a pile of puffs on his tray, and another picture taken a few days later, happily gnawing on some watermelon. :D

I think this is the perfect attitude. Just model eating, and have the twins eat with her as well, and she will learn from your example. :) Don't stress about her having to 100% self-feed in 60 days either; I still spoon-fed my guys baby food veggies and yogurt for months after they turned one!

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I totally agree with Valerie. One day it will just click and she'll sudden realize the whole new world of "self-feeding" that has opened up for her! :hug: Keeping it light is the exact right thing to do!

And mine were about 15 months before I even let them attempt spoon/fork feeding themselves! No way was I cleaning up spilled yogurt and soup all the time! :lol:

4. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Mine are a year and they will feed themselves finger foods but I refuse to allow them a spoon to feed themselves because they do not have the dexterity to do it themselves.

5. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reassurance! I'll keep things on her tray and just relax and wait for her to dive in.