Baby cereal

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 2betterthan1, Dec 28, 2007.

1. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

How did everyone start cereal?? How often? What time during the day? How much? Any suggestions??

Shannon

2. **Diane**

**Diane** Well-Known Member

I started cereal when my two were 6 months old on the advice of my pediatrician. I started giving it to them at night before bed. For the first few weeks it was only once a day.

In the beginning it was only a couple tsp. Eventually I worked up to 3 to 4 tbsp once a day.

3. shalo

shalo Member

Same here, but my pedi recommended starting at 5 months, I did and could tell it upset his little tummy, so we tried again at 6 months and he did fine.

4. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I followed the advice of the AAP and WHO and offered cereal at 6 mo (adjusted). I gave it in the late afternoon, when my babies are hungriest. As to how much, just follow the babies' cues, as long as it doesn't cut into their breastmilk/formula intake - BM/F should be #1.

Other suggestions - have your camera batteries charged! :)

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We started at 4.5 months. Not because my girls needed it, but our pedi office recommended 4 months. I fed them about 1 tbsp. (total, between the two of them) between the last two bottles of the day. I would use a small amount of formula to mix it. Our pedi said to make it a little more runny than applesauce and work up to an applesauce consistency. We only did one feeding for a couple of weeks, then added a second one in the a.m. We added a third one around 7 months.

6. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice... my pedi said 4 months so we wanted to start a couple days before their 4 month checkup to see ow they would handle it, that way we could ask questions if needed!

Shannon

7. ssbard

ssbard Well-Known Member

We started at about 4 1/2 months as per advice from our pediatrician. We mixed it with a little formula for taste at first and they did great and took about a tablespoon each after a week. Then in a few weeks, we started baby food and they hated the taste, so now we mix it with baby food.

8. caba

caba Banned

We started at 4 months per our pedi. We were told to do it between feedings ... so since they have a 3pm and 630pm bottle then, we introduced cereal at 5pm. It's more practice for them to learn how to eat. We started with a tbsp each, mixed with formula. It's very funny! Takes a while for them to get the hang of it.

Good luck!

9. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

I started by mixing about one tbsp of cereal with about 4 tbsp of breastmilk or formula to make it really soupy. I would usually give it to them after their mid morning nap because trying to do it in the evening when they were starting to get fussy was just a hassle and a mess. They seemed much happier and interested during the day. They liked it at first and then just stopped wanting it so we stopped and tried again about a month later (5.5 months). Then they were more interested. Just watch their cues and don't expect them to eat more than a couple spoon fulls if that, at first. They will get more and more interested the more you try, just don't get discouraged. Good Luck and have fun!