Baby cereal - when did you stop?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by silver_stardust, Oct 15, 2009.

1. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

When did your LO's not want to eat the baby oatmeal or cereal anymore or when did you stop giving it to them?

2. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

im not sure; good question! mine are 16 months and still eat thier cereal and milk in the mornings, my house is crazy and chaotic in the morning so its just easiest to give them cereal, im sure it will change when they refuse to eat it -around 2 yrs? my two have feeding issues thou so someone else who 's twins eat everything might not still want it--

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I stopped giving it to them when they no longer wanted it. I think DS was done with it around 14-15 months, DD was done at 18 months.

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I stopped rice cereal when we transitioned to whole milk, but I still feed them the baby oatmeal on occasion in the mornings. They find the instant oatmeal packets too sweet, and the baby oatmeal mixes up nicely with cold milk; no need to boil water. So if I feel they haven't gotten a great breakfast (don't like the choices, etc.) I'll mix baby oatmeal with milk, then throw in some pureed fruit and yogurt.

5. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Mine likes theirs in yogurt. It's easy to make them that in the morning and I make it thick enough to stick to the spoon and they love feeding themselves. It becomes a treat for them in two ways. Otherwise, they aren't as interested in their yogurts. I think they like the texture of having their cereal mixed in. I'll just keep letting them have that until they grow bored of it and want somethign else. I also give them waffles, eggs, or pancakes occasionally so it's not just the cereal they get.

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I stopped when they wouldn't eat it anymore, I figured it was good for them. Mine ate it until they were almost two. :good:

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Around 14 months, when they refused to be spoon fed.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We stopped right around 1 year when we made the switch to all table food.

9. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I still add it to yogurt also, for the iron and to thicken it up.

10. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

my twins are 22 months old and i still give them baby cereal. i also use it to thicken up yogurt.

tanya

11. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I put it in yogurt with fruit, and call it a meal.

12. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

at about a year. they haven't liked me to spoon feed them anything since they were about 10 months old though so i didn't make much of an effort between 10 and 12 months to give them cereal.

13. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Same! They lost interest at that point.

14. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

Mine still like it and for me it is the easiest meal! :) I wish it was healthy for them to eat it 3x a day!
    sometimes I give them toast/waffles.etc... but we generally still do the cereal.
    I'm not ready yet for them to get up in the morning a have a full breakfast...
    They get up, have milk with cherrios and 1 or so later I give them the cereal and fruit, before
    their long nap :clapping:

15. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

mine were 18months when summer started, and they didn't want to eat anything hot inthe morning (except to have bites of dh's oatmeal, lol). so, i started giving them "high fiber, organic O's," which have a lot of good things in them. now that it's getting cooler again i am going to try to go back to oatmeal. it's so good for them!

gl, jl

16. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

We started using just regular instant oatmeal about 2-3 weeks ago (so about 11 months). I use the plain, and make it with milk instead of water. Then I can add whatever fruit puree I have laying around. The Quaker "original" flavor is fortified with about the same amount of iron as the baby stuff, and my two love it! Plus it helps with their milk intake.

I have a feeling I'll use some of the baby stuff as a thickener once they start insisting on spoon feeding themselves!