baby cereal/oatmeal

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Dianna, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

When can they go from the Gerber oatmeal and baby cereals to regular Quaker oatmeal? And with the Gerber cereals does anyone add anything to them, other than formula/B.M?

Dianna

2. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

I always add fruit into the cereal. I give the veggies by themselves first and then the cereal with pureed fruit in it. I'm not sure about the regular oatmeal but I'm guessing you could give it when they seem ok with thicker and clumpier textures.

3. totalee001

totalee001 Well-Known Member

I started giving my son regular oatmeal at 8-9 months. Sometimes I add applesauce and cinnamon. My son did not like it when I mixed his cereal or oatmeal with milk so I just add warm water.

4. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I started giving them regular oatmeal at 9 months :). I just mixed in water.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I think it would be fine once they're used to lumpy foods. I always add fruit purees though, DS hated plain cereal when we started.

6. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

For mixing cereal, I've used breast milk, formula, water, and once in a great while, fruit juice. I also always serve it with fruit puree. I'm thinking I should try Quaker oatmeal with them soon. I haven't yet, but they should be ready to start some thicker food now.

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Ditto prior post on fruit, applesauce, cinamon in the cereal. Ive also mixed whole milk yogurt into their cereal.

If I make vegetables or something an I make it too runny sometimes I put cereal in that too just to thicken it up a bit.
    I havent looked at the nutritional content of regular oatmeal but I agree once they can eat thicker, lumpier food Im sure its okay. You might wnat to compare the 2 from a nutritional standpoint and see if you want to switch.

8. mairoge

mairoge Well-Known Member

I add fruit to my cereal sometimes.