Baby Acne

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pamallhoney, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

My boys have both broken out with baby acne. 5/6 of my kids have had acne at around the same time - 4 weeks old. My other two boys actually have scars from the acne. And everything I've read said they won't get scars. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Natural rememdies or even medicine suggestions that I could mention to my Dr. when I see him next week. I did read somewhere to put a small amount of Cod Liver Oil on the soles of their feet. It seems to be keeping any new breakouts at bay. I know they aren't in any pain, but I hate seeing their faces so messed up.

2. aprillh

aprillh Member

You probably already learned this from your research, but baby acne is totally normal. It is due to hormonal adjustments after childbirth and resolves on it's own, with or without treatment. Most health care providers don't recommend treatment of any sort since it is self-limiting. It is unusual for scarring to occur since the lesions are very superficial. Just keep their faces clean of spit up or milk/formula by wiping them with a clean, damp washcloth once or twice a day. They should resolve within a couple of weeks.

HTH!
    April

3. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

DS had a bad case around that age and the pedi said there was nothing we could do. Shortly after the acne cleared up he developed dermatitis and excema, for which a combination of cortisone cream and aquaphor cleared it up. We finally were able to stop using the cortisone around 6 months but still lather him up with aquaphor every night to keep it at bay.

4. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I use Aquaphor and the dr also said Cetaphil (sp?).

Jen

5. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Thanks! One of the twins is way worse than the other. Now he has red blotches on his face. Kinda looks like my dd's eczema. Maybe I will try a little of those lotions you mentioned.

6. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

My first did the same thing. Dr kept telling me it was acne, I suggested it may be eczema since I have psorisis. She prescribed elcon cream. I do not remember how it is spelled and it went right away. Since then several cousins have used it for baby "acne" and it cleared right up!

7. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

I used Eucerin cream for my daugther.

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(pamallhoney @ Jun 18 2008, 11:16 AM) [snapback]833042[/snapback]
    My boys have both broken out with baby acne. 5/6 of my kids have had acne at around the same time - 4 weeks old. My other two boys actually have scars from the acne. And everything I've read said they won't get scars. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Natural rememdies or even medicine suggestions that I could mention to my Dr. when I see him next week. I did read somewhere to put a small amount of Cod Liver Oil on the soles of their feet. It seems to be keeping any new breakouts at bay. I know they aren't in any pain, but I hate seeing their faces so messed up.

I totally left Jack's alone, and it completely went away no issues. I'd just leave it be.

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

Josh was the only one of my kids that really had it, and I just left it alone and it went away eventually. I have heard Cetaphil helps.