babies with big bellies?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Kayla_Pray22, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Kayla_Pray22

Kayla_Pray22 Well-Known Member

At my ultrasound last week(33 weeks) they said that the babies both weighed right at 5lbs. but that their bellies had grown a little more than their other areas. The ultrasound techs kinda made faces and were whispering and it sort of made me nervous. I asked them if there was concern because of that and they said no...

Both babies are still a week ahead for thier gestational age.

After my ultrasound I had my weekly appointment with my Dr and I asked him and he chuckled and said that they babies were fine, that they just have chunky bellies!

Anyone else have babies with fat stomachs??? And was it ever an issue...for some reaosn i cant stop thinking about this, i guess just bc of the way the ultrasound techs were at first. and they kept asking me if I had diabetes and some other stuff..which i dont

2. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

My twins and my last singleton all had bigger bellies. My hubby is built very "barrel chested" and they are too, simple as that. ;) Glad that your doctor told you there was nothing to worry about, trust him. Maybe the techs were just making jokes. I know one of my techs always made a comment on how my LOs legs were the shortest parts of their body and how they would obviously have my legs. Try not to worry. :hug:

3. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

I don't think thats a problem at all -- in fact my baby has the opposite problem -- a small belly, which indicates that he's not growing as much as he should. I think a nice round tummy sounds like a good thing.

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree with the other posters, it's not a bad thing. :hug: I'm sorry they were whispering, that's rude especially in a situation like this. :hug:

5. Kayla_Pray22

Kayla_Pray22 Well-Known Member

lol ok i feel better now!!

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I guess it really depends on the comparison to the rest of their body. My twins always measured 2 weeks ahead. At 34 weeks, the girl measured 6lbs1oz and my boy 6lbs15oz but my OB said that the belly was exceptionally large compared to the other measurements and she said it was most likely off and she told me to expect them both in the lower 6lbs range. They were born at 38w2d (about 4 weeks later) measuring 7lbs11oz and 7lbs10oz so I think she was right. They were good chubby babies, but my son's belly measurement just didn't make sense compared to the rest ...