Babies turning after 33 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Krystine, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

My Baby A has been breech for about 7 weeks now and we're approaching 33 weeks. My OB will give a vaginal delivery if Baby A is vertex but Baby B is vertex and I am really about ready to give up on Baby A moving since he's been there for so long. My sonographer said typically they decide their final position by 32 weeks but it can change at any time. My questions are if I still want a vaginal birth, am I going to compromise that if I consent to scheduling a C Section if my OB brings it up if he agrees to try vaginal if A does flip? And, realistically, is there much hope on A turning? He just seems so cozy where he is since he's been there so long.

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My Baby A was breech for most of my pregnancy and my OB scheduled a c-section for me at 39 weeks because of his position. About a week or two before that, he flipped to head down and the c-section date was taken off the books. They were both born vaginally at 40 weeks.

Honestly my OB was more gung ho for a vaginal birth than I was! I was young and scared and would have done whatever I was told pretty much. :D

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Babies can turn up until labor. And some babies won't turn UNTIL labor starts. Having a scheduled cesarean does NOT mean you have to have a cesarean if something changes. You are within your rights to refuse it at any point if you feel you should.

Check out www.spinningbabies.com. Chiropractic care may be helpful in getting baby head down. Also, if you would like more information on vaginal breech birth, Stand and Deliver has an excellent breech resource with links to studies that have been done on breech birth over the years (http://rixarixa.blogspot.ca/p/breech.html?m=1) and information from the most recent Internationl Breech Conference.

4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

My A was pretty cozy in the head down position but she still had room to flip. I know this because her sister flipped at least 4 more times after that point. The last time B flipped was after my 38 week u/s. That said, I agree that scheduling a csection does not lock you into having one if something changes.

5. Krystine

I've looked at spinningbabies and my main concern is that it says to make sure your membranes are strong and I would be much more afraid of pPROM than a C-section. Plus I am on bed rest so I don't know how much I can really do.
    I am glad to know even if we schedule a C section it isn't the final word. I have just been nervous and I have read so much about vaginal twin birth and from the start we've talked to my OB every appt about vaginal birth and he will deliver baby B breech but not Baby A.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and advice!

6. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

Hi there...this was the situation I was in, actually my twins were breech transverse. B/C I had a previous vaginal delivery my OB allowed me to deliver vaginally at 36 weeks when I went into spontaneous labor. Both boys were born feet/butt first. My OB and one other in the practice are willing to do primary breech deliveries, but on the whole it is pretty rare. I remember how desperate I felt though, I was also on bedrest and remember thinking most maneuvers on spinning babies were not an option. I hope the babies turn for you, however, keep your eyes on the prize...two healthy babies whom for better or worse will be here to meet you soon! Hang in there...

7. Krystine

Thanks Jessica - I am definitely more concerned about pre-term birth than a C-section. I just feel like I wasted all this time and mental energy learning about vaginal twin birth vs. C-section and we had decided we wanted a vaginal birth and tried to plan for that and now, why did I even waste the effort when Baby A won't turn? I am not too worried if I have to have a c-section. I know the recovery will be harder but I guess if it's out of my control, it's out of my control. I don't know of any OBs here who will delivery Baby A breech. I'm actually considered fortunate to have an OB who will deliver Baby B breech. But you're right, my end goal is for us all to be healthy and OK and I get that, i will be very satisfied.

8. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

I say that as much for myself as you! It is so hard to let go of control!

9. Krystine

A is still breech but B has turned to transverse. We are definitely talking C-section now but I am OK with it, although I will talk to my OB about getting an incision most conducive to a VBAC if I have another baby later. I am just thankful to still have them growing inside me 34w3d.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My baby A was breech and did not change position. Still is a stubborn little thing too! My baby B was all over the place!

11. miss_bossy18

If you're interested you may want to do some research on mother friendly or family centered cesarean birth. There are lots of options you can request that will be beneficial to you and babies (delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin, etc). :)

12. Krystine

I wasn't sure how to ask for delayed cord clamping with twins a c-section. I've read about it and read that some people don't have it delayed bc the OB wants to sew them up asap. I am asking for immediate skin to skin as long as they don't need to be rushed off to NICU. Should I also ask for epidural to be removed right after the procedure is done? (I had a medication free birth with DD so it's not like I can't handle pain and I'd take ibuprofen or something, most narcotics hurt my stomach terribly so I avoid them).

13. miss_bossy18

I would definitely discuss the options for pain meds with your doc and the anesthetist on call, especially your reaction to narcotics, as I'm sure there are many options. They can also give you anti-nausea meds although these sometimes make you feel "out of it" which can make it tough if babes are ready to nurse right away (and they can be even at early gestational ages - Dr. Jack Newman has great info on his website regarding breastfeeding the prem babe. There are a lot of myths out there about it.). Also, you would most likely receive a spinal rather than an epidural for a scheduled cesarean - as I understand it, the spinal is one dose that's designed to last for a specified amount of time where as an epidural is a catheter that remains in place allowing a continuous dose of medication. Another good thing to discuss with your doc.

14. Krystine

If I end up in labor before my scheduled c-section (which is likely since it's 38-3 and I've had all these irritable uterus and preterm labor concerns already), would I still be eligible for a spinal? I'll talk on Tues to my OB, I'm getting another nice list of questions! And I thought I had them all answered this Tues :)

15. miss_bossy18

I think so - I think spinals are actually easier/quicker to do, but I'm not 100% sure. Let us know what you find out. :)

16. Krystine

Will do! I'm spotting this morning after nothing has been near my cervix since Sunday's OB check so I am hoping it's not a sign labor is imminent.

17. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

Your post about "why did I learn about vaginal births if it's not an option for me" made me sort of giggle. You know that saying about "best laid plans"? Yeah...welcome to parenthood!!! It's all about "why did I prepare for this but end up with something completely different?"!

Good luck with the babies turning!!!

18. Krystine

Yeah, it all worked out great with my daughter but these little guys are giving me a run for my money.

19. MyOwnMeadow

MyOwnMeadow Well-Known Member

Same. I thought I had everything figured out since I had three singletons, b ut I've learned I don't know jack.

How're you feeling?

20. Krystine

OK, my left hips is going to fall off from lying on it for 5 weeks straight so far but ctx haven't picked up so I'm hoping to make it to 35 weeks on Tues (and beyond if possible).