Babies having a growth spurt?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sparkle77, Jun 5, 2009.

1. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm feeling fine but for the past few days I have been a walking zombie. I have to sleep like 12 hours a night and I can barely make myself get out of bed during the day. Nothing else has changed but my bump is growing rather rapidly. Is it possible that I'm exhausted cause the babies are having a bit of a growth spurt?

2. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

Its definitely possible. As those lil ones get bigger they tax your body more and more. When my boys go through growth spurts i hurt pretty bad from belly stretching and i'm pretty tired. The other thing you may want to check if it doesnt get better is your iron levels. My iron levels dropped pretty bad and that totally turned me into a zombie!

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

It very well could be. Are you eating good and drinking plenty of water? Any other complaints other than being tired? If you are concerned you can always call your Dr and run it by them and see what they say. Carrying two babies can definitely be exhausting though! :hug:

4. lisachalf

lisachalf Well-Known Member

QUOTE(agentplatypus @ Jun 5 2009, 03:42 PM) [snapback]1342784[/snapback]
    Its definitely possible. As those lil ones get bigger they tax your body more and more. When my boys go through growth spurts i hurt pretty bad from belly stretching and i'm pretty tired. The other thing you may want to check if it doesnt get better is your iron levels. My iron levels dropped pretty bad and that totally turned me into a zombie!

You are more susceptible to anemia with multiples. I haven't been anemic with this pregnancy but I was with my last and what you described is pretty much how I felt.

5. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

I think I eat fairly well but probably not as well as I should. My appetite seems to be tapering off a bit lately. I do stay well hydrated though --lots of water and fluids.

When my doctor last did my labs he said that my iron was low but not terribly low. This was at around 13 weeks or so. I guess it could be worse by now. At the time he was ok with me just doing the prenatals to see if that helped. The women in my family are all also anemic, especially my mother who had extremely low iron carrying my bros. I have my next appt next week and he'll do labs then. I had sort of forgotten about the low iron until you ladies mentioned it.

But really, I feel like I have an all day hangover. I'm so tired and I dont even do anything.

6. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Yes, that does sound like low iron. For this pregnancy whenever I start getting tired, craving ice or cold water, I know to add some extra iron in supplement form or a some nice red meat. I hope your energy picks up soon!

7. lorileahb

lorileahb Well-Known Member

I'm with the low iron group. After three weeks of barely being able to drag myself to work, I checked with my doctor. Tried to manage it with prenatals with extra iron, but ended up needed to have separate daily iron supplements. Life became MUCH more animated again.

Hope you're getting your energy back.