Awake time between naps - 7 months

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by juliannepercy, Jan 14, 2011.

1. juliannepercy

juliannepercy Well-Known Member

My boys are 7 months and still take 3 naps a day. We've been following the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child method of not keeping them up for more than 2 hours at a time. It seems to work well and they don't show signs of dropping a nap yet (the last is around 45 min), but also limits what we can do as we also do solids 3x a day so a lot to fit in. I'm just wondering when others had longer stretches of awake time?? I find it really hard to get out.

2. Cjoy

Cjoy Well-Known Member

I too am in the same boat...I posted a topic regarding that dropping that 3rd nap just last week. I am interested in your responses & results! My guys are 6 months...but I believe they may still need that last cat nap to make it until bedtime, so we will continue 3 for a while longer.
    Good luck!

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My twins just dropped the third nap last month at 8 months. So I think at 7 months, your twins still need it. Its my opinion. I know there are a lot to fit in (bottles, solids, naps,...) Even now, I still used 2 hour awake rule. You don't want to keep them up too long then they will get fussy and mess the whole thing up. If you get the napping schedule down well, feeding schudule should be easier. You just have to play around with it a bit. Just give bottles before solids and 45 mins-1.5 hrs between.I know its so crowded. Even at 9 months, I still feel the same way lol. Good luck!

When you figure out the new schedule, give them 1-2 weeks for adjustment.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Our boys were around 7-7.5 months when they started fighting their third nap. They finally dropped it completely around 8 months - it was a tough few days and I had to make bedtime a half-hour earlier. It was around the time they started fighting the third nap that they could seem to stay up longer without getting sleepy.