Average Age for changing from crib to toddler beds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bridget nanette, Jul 19, 2007.

?

When did you change your twins from a crib to a toddler bed?

1. 18-20 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 21-23 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 24- 26 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 26-28 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 28-30 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 30-36 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Over 36 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Michael and Mikayla keep getting stuck with their legs in the crib slots. I'm considering changing them over to the toddler beds, but I'm kind of nervous to do it. Is it too early?

Bridget

2. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

We just did this a few weeks agin and it was a very easy transaction for us....
    good luck

3. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

that's too early for me!
    We waited until literally their 3rd birthday, like that night, before switching them.

4. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Amanda @ Jul 20 2007, 03:55 AM) [snapback]338537[/snapback]
    that's too early for me!
    We waited until literally their 3rd birthday, like that night, before switching them.

I'm thinking at least 2 to 2.5...mine just are not ready for that. Or maybe I'm not ready. I have only had the legs stuck situation once or twice. I was wondering, since we have VERY limited space, if letting mine share a daybed with rails was a good or bad idea? Not now of course, but when we make that transition...whats everyones opinion on that? Didn't mean to hijack the post :)

5. Annen

Annen Well-Known Member

Noam started climbing over the side of his crib at 2.5 years. I was worried that he might hurt himself, so I switched their beds to toddler beds.

It was crazy for us at first because they had a newly discovered freedom and pulled everything and anything off shelves and took everything from the closets.

I put a pressure gate in their doorway and they busted thru that until I just took it down.

I ended-up removing many things from their room.

I was prego with Hadas at the time and it was difficult to have to keep bringing them back to their beds when they would come out during nap or during the night.

Life is good right now. Noam and Sapir basically don't nap anymore, so they usually fall asleep at night without any problem. Often Sapir will wake me once to go to the bathroom with her, but that's it.

I'm going to try to keep Hadas in her crib until around age 3.

6. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

I didn't answer since we haven't made the switch yet, but I am really thinking/hoping we'll do it around age 3. Since we haven't had any problems with climbing (YET!) I don't have any incentive to make the transition.

7. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

We just did it at 35+ months, and it's gone very well. (knock on wood) So far...

Oh, and we went straight to twin beds.

8. MTBx2

MTBx2 Well-Known Member

We did it at 2.5 exactly because Reagan kept waking up crying at night in her crib and I think it was because of not liking being closed in, and not having enough space. Both of my girls are pretty tall, so we went straight to twin beds. It was a mess for a while because of the new found freedom also, but it's gotten better. Both girls do still take a nap, but I lay with them at naptime and usually fall asleep to :blush: . At night, we usually lay with them for about 10 minutes, then get up letting them know we will check on them later. They usually don't climb out of bed at night anymore. :) Although it seems a bit early, if your going to toddler beds I think the transition would be fine. But be warned it will really mess up the sleep schedules for a while. if you don't want to do that yet, you might check into those breathable bumpers. I looked into those for the girls right at 1 yr because Reagan kept getting her leg caught in the slats. But all of a sudden she stopped doing it, so I didn't bother.

These are the bumpers I looked at getting:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-...asin=B0000E6ZC6

IHTH. :)

9. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

We switched the girls to toddler beds right around their second birthday. It was within that week. They did well. We had a couple of nights that they talked later than usual but overall they transitioned well.

10. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I switch to a bed when they start climbing out.

11. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

I had hoped to keep them in cribs till 3ish, but it didn't work out that way. I ended up moving them to twin mattresses on the floor of their room right around 18 months. After a week or so, they're doing much better about not playing all night and go to sleep pretty quickly now.

12. Wow, my DD climbed out of her crib at approx 12-14 mo...we had to do it early!

13. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

QUOTE(BettiePage @ Jul 20 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]338841[/snapback]
    I didn't answer since we haven't made the switch yet, but I am really thinking/hoping we'll do it around age 3. Since we haven't had any problems with climbing (YET!) I don't have any incentive to make the transition.

Ditto!

14. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Mine are 30 months and we are going strong in the cribs still. I am hoping to get closer to their 3rd birthday.

15. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

My boys CAN climb out of crib and PNP but we made it clear to them not too. I has worked so far! I hope to keep them in their cribs until 3ish. I think under 2 is way too early IMHO -unless you need the crib for anew baby coming. I have heard and read waiting until 3ish makes the transition much easier as they are older and can understand better. I did move dd at 30 months just because. I got a free toddler bed from a friend :winking0009: She did great. But I expect TWO 3 year olds will make the transition much more dramatic :p

16. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

At 2 1/2 we went right to beds. When Jon started climbing out of the crib at 22 months, we were on vacation--I ran out and bought him a crib tent. I never locked anything in their room or removed anything in their room. We did have a few emptying of drawers and the bookcase. But after the 3rd time, when I made them help clean it up, they didn't do it again. I would think yours are way too young, and I would instead invest in crib tents for safety!

17. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

We are still in cribs and will be until they are actually climbing out or are almost 3, whichever comes first.
    With my 1st DD she was 18 months. I found that too early b/c she would not stay in the bed at all.
    With DD #2 we switched her right to a full size with a rail at 32 months. She did not try to get out but we were moving and decided to get her new bedroom set then. She did great from day one.

18. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

I switched DS1 to a crib when he was around 20 months. We needed the crib for the babies. To be honest, I was definetly not ready for him to move into his big boy bed. I cried all night long. However, he did fine and we have never really had a problem with him getting out when he is not supposed to. He loves his bed though, it is a firetruck and with a light that he can turn on and off...he loves it!

19. mmhzmom

mmhzmom Well-Known Member

Only one of my kids was over 18 months when we moved out of a crib to a toddler bed. My oldest at 15 months, my second (the odd one) at 20 months, Zach at 16 months and Hannah at 17 months. Moving this early, before any of them climbed out of their crib on their own, worked really well for us. No changes in naps nor in bedtimes. So, I voted other since before 18 months was not an option.

20. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

All three of my boys switched to beds at age 3. I can honestly say we never had even one instance of them getting up to play, not napping anymore, talking more than usual, roaming around the room/hall, etc. Bedtime/naptime was not affected. It was well worth waiting.

21. Sandsam

Sandsam Well-Known Member

We moved our girls just after their 3rd birthday into twin beds. The transition was so smooth. I prepped them ahead of time, picked out really cute bedding. The first night the beds were set up, they crawled in, curled up and went right to sleep!

What I really like: Now instead of yelling Daddy in the middle of the night, they get out themselves and tromp down to our room and climb into bed with us. Dh seldom knows they are in bed with us until morning. I love when they sleep with us.

22. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We switched Jessy at 20 months. It was a good switch for her because she doesn't try to get out. We have a toddler bed with another toddler matress under it (so if she fals she doesn't roll under the bed{it happened} and she can just stay there). We haven't switched Jazzy yet because she would roam around the house at night where when Jessy wakes up she just cries for me.

23. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

You needed a younger choice for us.

My twins only slept in a crib(together) from 7-12mths (slept in our room the first 6). They moved to a big bed @ 1 yr.

All of our children moved early. Our first son slept in a crib the longest. He moved @ 19 mths. Our daughter @ 12 mths. 2nd son never slept in a crib and then the twins.