attempts to help LO's self-soothe

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Mar 10, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

well they went to sleep on their own. and when they prematurely woke up, they screamed and choked for a half hour and did not go back to sleep. they are up now in their walkers but they usually sleep for 2 hours! i feel like everything is regressing and im very upset about it.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How long did they sleep?

3. newtothis

30 mins for the difficult one, and about 45 mins for the other.
    when i rock them, the one LO is out for 2 hours and the other wakes up about twice during his nap and needs to be re-rocked. they're up now but a bit cranky. i feel like making them stay up until their bedtime is cruel! they can't make it to 8 now, lol!

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm telling you, it's rough sleep training while you are going through it! But when you come the other end with 2 peacefully sleeping babies who go to sleep on their own, and stay asleep for a normal amount of time, it's worth the hassle! :hug: They are always going to go through periods where they don't sleep good (my twin ds is going through one right now) but for the most part, you will never regret sleep training them!

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Danielle, if you can just get through it, you won't regret it. Learning to self soothe is a life skill (both for them and for your sanity!). I hope tomorrow is a better day!

6. newtothis

so them sleeping about 30-45 mins is ok when sleep training. i feel like friday is my limit, lol.
    please tell me they will be able to sleep by themselves by friday!!

my last question:
    they can go to sleep by themselves. the one LO is the one that screwed everything up! he woke back up (AS ALWAYS) 30 mins later and was unable to go back to sleep. i went it, attempted to rub his head, etc. he screamed like a lunatic again and it woke his brother up. then they were both screaming again!

7. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

For a few weeks now this is what my LOs naps have looked like. One LO sleeps pretty consistently for 40-45 minutes. The other LO often times only naps 30 minutes at a time, which is annoying. But 2 days ago he napped for 2 hours, and then yesterday he napped once for 90 minutes. Today was nothing but 30-45 minute naps. My boys are ALL over the map right now.

And this is exactly why my LOs nap in separate rooms during the day! They sleep in separate cribs in the nursery at night, but they often times never get a deep sleep during nap time and/or only nap for 30-45 minutes, so I don't want to risk them waking each other up during naps. Hence Brandon always naps in his crib in the nursery and Colin always naps in the minicrib in our bedroom. Now obviously they aren't great nappers if you read my previous paragraph, LOL, but I figure they would nap even worse if they were waking each other up.

8. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I try to stay in the room with them while doing something I need to do--like getting on my laptop, eating or whatever, and then I can talk to them and say it's time to go to sleep now.