Attempted Toe Sucking Making Me CRAZY!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by minivanmama, Jan 18, 2010.

1. minivanmama

minivanmama Well-Known Member

My girls are 4.5 months.

One of them has developed what I would call a habit that is making us insane.

The second you put her down (esp in her car seat (bucket), bouncy or swing she IMMEDIATELY tries to put her right foot in her mouth. The problem is that she can't get it in and it makes her nuts. For the past two days we've about gone out of our minds. She hasn't napped for more than 20 minutes before she starts screeching as she attempts to shove her foot in her mouth, fails and gets all riled up in frustration.

Any thoughts or ideas?

We've tried a pacifier, teething ring, guiding her towards her hands, etc. I can't keep carrying her around all day (I have her twin and a DS4), but I'm going to lose it if I have to keep listening to the frustrated screeches.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sorry I haven't had experience with that but it sounds pretty cute! I'm sure it's just a phase and hopefully it won't last too much longer.

3. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Toe sucking is normal - my bigger kids have done it, babies are not quite there yet. I think the only solution to her screeching is for her to just figure out how to get those toes in her mouth. It's pretty cute once they figure it out. And then it passes quickly, it seems.

Hope you survive until she masters the art of toe sucking!

4. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Sorry it is making you crazy - I LOVED when mine did that. It took them a couple weeks to get the toe to their mouth and then it seems the were done after a couple more weeks. Take a picture when it happens...you will want to remember it, crazy or not! :) I think it is very common.

5. ourtwopeas

ourtwopeas Well-Known Member

Not only does one of my sons always have his toes in his mouth but if his brother's are nearby he will suck on those too! He even does it when we are carrying him or lifting him off the floor. Sorry both she and you are having a frustrating experience while she is learning. Hope she gets it soon- it really is funny to see.
    Wish I knew how to insert a photo.

6. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I don't think its a habit as much as it is a phase, and the good thing about that is most of them aren't all that long lived. Good Luck!!

7. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

OMG, that sounds like the cutest thing. You should video this and post it on youtube for us, and to show her when she is older. Anyways, sorry, don't mean to belittle your concern. Ummm, I don't know. Its funny that she wants the piggies when her thumbs are much closer and more accessible. Maybe this is something she'll just grow out of soon, or she'll finally figure out how to get her foot to her mouth and then hopefully she'd eventually grow out of that too. A 16 y/o sucking on toes wouldn't be nearly as cute. lol