At wits end! HELP please

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sruth, Aug 1, 2011.

1. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

Two months ago we did the 3-day PT and it worked out great for teaching them to go #1 on the potty. One of my DD’s is fully day and night trained. My other DD requires a pull-up at night and has never really had a successful #2 in the potty (mostly in her underwear).
    I tried going back to the sticker charts, rewards, etc. Maybe I'm not using them correctly, she doen't seem to care.

My concern is in a month they will be in pre-school two full days and they will want her to be fully potty-trained. We’ve been able to get away with it so far because they are only in school two half-days and she has held it or had a couple of accidents that they were okay handling.

She isn’t afraid of the potty or regular toilet since she uses it all day for going pee, to me it seems more of a body control issue, in that once she realizes she’s going she says “poo poo” and I run her to the potty but it’s always too late!
    HELP!!:unknw:

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Are her bowel movements fairly regular? If so, you could try arbitrarily putting her on the potty around that time of day & having her sit for a few minutes to see if she'll go. That might help her connect the feeling to going on the potty.

3. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

Her BM's aren't easy to spot. Sometimes once a day and sometimes 3! I have a sinking feeling I might have to do the 3-day training again but for #2!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Some kids do have a harder time with going #2 in the potty, it's like a physical representation of something leaving their body. I know when my DS started to poo on the potty, it freaked him out. The way he was carrying on, you would have thought that he birthed an alien. I would just keep talking about that poo is supposed to go in the potty and not on the underwear and that the underwear wants to be clean. Sometimes it's just mental hurdle that kids have to get over.

5. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

We had this problem with Eleanor and we just had to wait it out (I know that's probably not what you want to hear). Although with her it was totally a control issue (not body control, not fear just not wanting to do it) so nothing we tried worked. One day she finally decided she'd poo on the toilet and that was it, no more accidents. It was a couple of months from when she potty trained to when she stopped pooing in her pants.
    We also had the problem of her needing to be potty trained for school. Luckily the teachers were really good about it and would just change her if she had an accident but we were concerned they'd stop letting her attend. She was at school for about a month before she stopped having accidents.
    A month is a reasonable amount of time so hopefully she'll have cracked it by then. If not then I'd suggest talking to the teachers and seeing what they would be willing to work with. Maybe you could put her in training pants (those thick terry cloth ones) on school days and they could keep an extra close eye on her/get her to sit on the potty a couple of extra times a day.

Could you try and keep a little potty with you wherever you are in the house so that you can get her on it right away when she tells you she has to go? Have you tried having her naked from the waist down? That makes a difference for some children. The only other thing I can think to suggest is maybe try different rewards to see if you can find something she really wants that will motivate her.

Good luck!

6. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

Thanks Ladies--that's a really good idea to bring out the potties again. I put them away but it did help in the beginning to "catch" them sooner by having the potty close by. We did do naked training a couple of weeks ago but that girl just went on the floor no problem! Luckily the school is understanding enough and never gave me any warnings...I just feel bad about it and feel like at some point they will bring it up since it's pre-school and not daycare.
    If anyone has had success with one thing let me know! Otherwise I'm guessing she'll figure it out by high school!

7. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I don't have any specific instructions... with my ds it took a long time... ugh! she will get it.

the 3day potty training had a suggestion of making a "magic poopy wand", something for them to hold to be excited that it would relax them... it didn't do the magic for my ds, but he did eventually figure it out.

hang it there, it was very frustrating for me!