At what age have you left your kids alone in the bath?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I have been quite worried about this, so as a result my kids are now 4yrs old and I have never left them alone in the bathtub - EVER. But I noticed when my DH was bathing them the other night, he was in the bedroom (which is attached to the bathroom) getting stuff ready for his upcoming trip. I guess I never even considered that we could leave them alone in the tub . At this point he only leaves them alone for no more than about 30 seconds, but usually always within earshot of them.

at what age did you feel comfortable doing that? Is 4 yrs old ok? or should I be waiting another year or two?

2. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

My two are 3.5 y and I make short trips to their bedroom, our bedroom to put everything in order. I am always near so I do not see a problem leaving them alone for few minutes.They are busy playing with their toys and I can do small jobs here and there.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started just after the girls turned 3. We're always nearby & they're both quite loud so as long as I can hear two voices I know they're fine. I'll peek in every couple of minutes or if it gets quiet just to make sure they're fine.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Mine have been playing in the tub without adults nearby since they turned 3. We were always within earshot until more recently, maybe around 4, when we'll take short trips to the other end of the house. We do check on them every 5 minutes or so... or sooner if things get quiet, but I figure they can swim, and there's two of them. So far they haven't done anything to worry me.

Unless you're intervening on a regular basis when your kids are in the tub (ie - pick someone up who's fallen over and can't get up, break up fights, stop one from climbing on the other, stop someone from standing up and dancing), they should be ok at age 4.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Around age 2 we started to leave them while we are in our bedroom or kitchen, both attached to the bathroom, and within sight of the bathtub. Just for short short amounts of time. Longer if one of my older kids were in the bathtub with them.

They are nearly 3 now and I'll often run to their room to get their jammies and diapers after I put them in the tub. It's across the house but it's still a small house so within hearing, and almost within sight of them :)

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Around 2.5 -3 here and same with everyone else, mostly just to run to their rooms to get towels and clothes:). If I take a shower with them I get out first so they can play so they are alone while I dry off and get dressed:)

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Same, I go to the room next door to arrange beds or whatnot for 30 seconds... but always within ear shot (which I guess is moot anyway). I've never had any issue with them doing anything dangerous though.

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

around 3 ish or so - they generally bathe in my bathroom (larger tub) and starting at 3 Tony would take the laptop in the bedroom (attached to the bathroom) and hang out in there while they played - now at 5.5 they are very close to being able to wash their own hair and bodies without any intervention...our house is a ranch so they are always within earshot - so we can now sit out in the living room or be in the kitchen cleaning up while they play.

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Probably 4. I still sit in there with them mostly, but also fold laundry, do quick errands, etc while they are in there too.

10. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I would say around 3 ish, we started leaving them alone, but were always within ear shot and it was for very short periods of time. I would put laundry away and do other little things while they were playing. Now that they are almost 5, I get a bit more done because I don't feel like I need to be in the immediate vicinity.

11. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I would say around two. Like everyone else, I am always in ear shot. They may be in the tub and I get their pj's out of the room or I may take their dirty clothes down to the laundry room in the basement.

They are now 4 and my bedroom is next to the bathroom and I'm comfortable being in there while they are bathing. If they need anything, they will yell and I'm in there in less than 5 seconds.

12. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've started but it's going to get Jammie's and stuff. I don't trust them more than about 10 seconds right now. My DH tried to start at 13 months and I freaked out on him.

13. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I started leaving my oldest alone (like me folding clothes in the next room) around 3.5 years. at four I would definitely be fine with it.

14. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I think around age 3 or 4. I still worry a little (and they're 6!), especially since we no longer bathe them together. I was actually less concerned when they were younger and I knew that if one of them got hurt, the other would call me.

However, Amy talks nonstop (even when she's alone), so I only worry if I hear silence. :ibiggrin: And Sarah also usually makes enough noise that I can tell she's OK. Still, they rarely spend much time alone in the tub just because I'm always in a hurry to get them washed and out of there.

15. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When they are all in the tub I dont worry at all except for them fighting with each other or flooding the floor. But just recently Reese was sick (stomach flu) and she was in the bath alone and I ran to get her pj's and came back and she was sound asleep in the tub..all that was peeking out of the water was her eyes, nose, and mouth. I imagine had that gone under she would have woken up, but who knows...anyway, I let her sleep there for a while because she was so peaceful but I didnt move from the side of the bathtub.

16. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Around 2, I felt confident they were stable enough for me to go to the laundry (room next door) or to their room for jammies. I don't leave them alone very long because when I do, they flood the bathroom.

17. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Between me and my husband, we'll step in and out of the bathroom to get things. But at 4, baths are still mostly supervised.

18. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

my hubby or the sitter usually bathe them, and neither leaves them alone. i leave them alone for about a minute or two at a time--but i have them sing to me. if i can't hear one or the other i call his name to make sure all is well. i've also told them that if i call out "guys?!" they are both to answer right away. they've gotten used to this so i usually get things ready for bedtime while they are bathing, and just go back and forth from their room (next to the bathroom) to the bath, to maybe one other room.

good luck!
    jl

19. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

Our girls are almost 4 and for the most part I always stay in the bathroom with them. I might walk off to go get something and come back but I'm not gone for any extended period of time. I feel I need to keep an eye on them, not only for safety sake but because I don't want them splashing water all over the place or getting out and making a mess :)

20. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I'm going to say around 3 or so as well, but never out of earshot until they were about 5. Now, I set the timer and they know that they get to play until it goes off, then I set it again and they have until it goes off to get their bodies and hair washed. I still go in and check in on them because now they want to put on googles and put their head underwater, so I am still super scared that something may happen, but they pretty much bath on their own most nights.