At what age do you start using bandaids?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by thea7, Mar 9, 2008.

1. thea7

thea7 Well-Known Member

My kids are now 27 months and I haven't put any bandaids on them yet because I'm afraid they will take them off, put them in their mouths, and then choke on them. My DD recently got a pretty big cut on her finger (after a fall) and I was tempted to put on a bandaid. My DS also recently had a cut on his face that I wanted to put a bandaid on. What have other people done? When did you start using bandaids on areas of the body that the kids have access to (like the face and hands)?

thanks!
    thea

2. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

Anthony is 3 1/2, and he's only now starting to keep the bandaids on. And that is only with me constantly reminding him to leave it alone.

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I've only had to use bandaids a few times, but they have never taken them off. It never even occurred to me that they might try to eat them.

4. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I've taken the little round kind and cut a rectangle from the center to use as a finger bandaid. It only stayed on a few hours but that was all that was needed. I wouldn't put them down for a nap wearing it but up and running around where I can monitor seemed OK to me.

5. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

I don't really remember.......because we have older children it was probably early. They love bandaids.

You could buy the liquid bandaid if you are concerned. That would work like a charm :)

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've been using them for a few months when we need to. Mine are 25 months.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't think we ever avoided using them, but we started using them more often around 24 months because our kids started LOVING bandaids. I don't think choking is that big a concern unless your kids are always putting things in their mouths.

The bigger problem for us is that they never want to take the bandaid off. And if we do manage to get them to give it up ("to let your skin breathe") or if it falls off, they want another one someplace else and will start inventing owies that need bandaids.

8. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Mar 10 2008, 11:36 AM) [snapback]661885[/snapback]
    I don't think choking is that big a concern unless your kids are always putting things in their mouths.

Herein lies my problem.

We have (23m) yet to use band-aids with the exception of vaccinations. There have really only been a few times I thought it would have been handy.

However, I am astounded at how quickly they are 'growing up' and am hopeful they'll outgrow putting everything in their mouths soon.

9. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

Ds just cut his thumb the other day, he kept them on and actually asked for one each morning, and then when it healed he stopped asking....smart boy :winking0009:

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We started using them around two, but it hasn't been until recently that we use them on a regular basis. They are a quick cure to an ouchie-induced tantrum. And when one gets a bandaid, the other HAS to have one too.

11. debid

debid Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Mar 11 2008, 12:12 AM) [snapback]662911[/snapback]
    We started using them around two, but it hasn't been until recently that we use them on a regular basis. They are a quick cure to an ouchie-induced tantrum. And when one gets a bandaid, the other HAS to have one too.

That's hilarious! We use an ice pack. Every little bump now calls for a whine of, "ICE-EEEEEEEEEEEEE". They'll hold it on the owie (if they can remember where the owie was) for a second and then announce that they're all done and off they go to play :rolleyes:

12. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

The ice pack worked for us too, until I bought princess and pirate bandaids. What was I thinking?

13. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I don't remember when we started either, and like the pp, it never occured to me that they would eat it. We did go through a phase of phantom boo-boos, where they had band aids all over them.

14. annieuetz

annieuetz Well-Known Member

We started using them at 24 months but quickly found out the girls are allergic to the adhesive. They put them on and wouldn't take them off. I got Zoey's off after a few days and she was really red where the adhesive was. Lucy's finally fell off in the tub after a week. She was bleeding everywhere the adhesive touched her skin. It is still not completely healed and it has been almost a month. I called Band Aid and they said it had to be the adhesive because they are latex free. The wrapper does have latex but it was due to the band aid. We went to the pedi and he said it is really common in kids so we need to avoid all band aids and test different kinds of tape on their skin to see if those adhesives cause a reaction. So please be careful when using them!

15. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I put a bandaid on my girls a few weeks ago for the first time. We were on vacation and trying out a new pair of shoes and they got blisters. :( They did really good about keeping the bandaids on and not putting them in their mouths. When did my babies get so big?!

16. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

I used them at the first sign of blood! LOL Never thought about them eating them, although I can almost bet that Brody did eat a few, he eats everything (still).

There are some waterproof ones that are VERY hard to get off.

I have found that my boys will take them off if the owie is no longer needing it. But if it still hurts, then they leave it alone, it's really fascinating to see what they'll do with them.