At what age do they stay awake longer?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by marleigh, Apr 26, 2010.

1. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

I was wondering at what age, babies can tolerate being up for longer than 2 to 2 1/2 hours at a stretch?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine started around 9 - 10 months, when they started dropping the third nap.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep same as Aimee, when we were able to drop the 3rd nap. They'd be up for 3 hrs then nap, 3 hrs then nap, 3-4 hrs then bedtime.

4. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

Uh oh, mine don't take a 3rd nap usually...where am I going wrong:

wake: sometime between 6am and 7am
    nap: between 8;30 and 9 till about 10:30/11
    nap: 1pm ish till about 2:30/3:00
    bedtime: 6:30pm

should I be squeezing in a short nap between 3pm and 6:30pm?

5. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Marlena, my schedule is pretty similar to your schedule. Most days my boys only take two naps. There are the days, when they need the 3rd one, and it's usually a catnap around 4-4.30-ish. Our bedtime is also 6.30. I may not do it right, but as long as my boys are happy, developing and eating well, I'm ok with two naps at this stage.

6. lillysmom

lillysmom Well-Known Member

My boys are almost 8 months and they rarely have a third nap. Their schedule is similar to yours except they go down a bit earlier for the second nap and this depends on how long the first nap was.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We only do 2 naps here, but sometimes it frustrates me because if they get up from nap 2 at around 2, they are ready to go back to bed at 6:30. I am going to start pushing them back to 8 soon as my DH is going back to work and I want him to be able to see them after work for more than 15 minutes. Currently our schedule looks like yours, but in the next month I'm going to try to tweak it to look like this:

6:30 up
    9 nap
    10/10:30 up
    1 nap
    4 up
    8 bed

Obviously variable, but that's what I'm shooting for.

Oh & I got them to drop the 3rd nap by being out during the day after they ate (for about 1/2 hour).

8. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Mine don't third nap, most days. We wake at 7, nap at 930-11, nap 130-3 or 330 and are then up until 630. I'd say in the past month they really developed the ability to stay up from 330 to 630.