At what age did you bathe them in just the tub-no infant tub?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cjk2002, Dec 7, 2008.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Just wondering since they are starting to get a little big for the infant tub. They are 11 months and can't sit fine on their own. My biggest concern is if they fall back and hit their heads. Although I am always right by their side, I may not be able to catch them in time.

I tried one of those tub seats, but Jake has some good size thighs and it's hard getting him out of it. :lol:

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

We just started a couple of weeks ago. It works really well with one at a time. I can only bathe them both at the same time if DH is able to help.

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

We moved my girls to the regular tub in bath seats at about 6 months old, and did away with the bath seats at about 10 months old. I did get this Bath Bumper and a bath mat that covers the entire bottom of the bath tub. We have had absolutely no problems, and my girls LOVE bath time now!

4. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

At about 7 months I put them in the big tub. One at a time until they could sit well. no bath seats, just a rubber non slip thing on the bottom. They have fallen once or twice, I usually catch them but the water is not deep enough for them to go under, but deep enough to not hurt too much :)

5. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

At about 6 months we stopped using the infant tubs.

Dianna

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Err soon. Our baby tub still works great and I don't want to go through the hassle of scrubbing our tub (we only take showers and although it's not really dirty, the idea of sitting in there just grosses me out), and it will probably kill my back to bend over to wash them.

We'll probably put a towel at the bottom of the tub though.

7. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

By 11 months we were just using a tub liner. We have something just like THIS. I would highly recommend it!

8. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I got one of those inflatable ducks for our tub...we haven't used it yet because they're still way too little, but I heard about it on here. It looks like a fun thing to try before taking the plunge to the full tub, but I have no experience to speak from. I guess it's similar to those tub bumpers, and for $10 worth a try! I can't wait 'til they can sit up to use it. It says it can be used from the time they sit unassisted to 24 months.

9. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I have a large laundry tub which I'm liking right now since it is higher up than the bathtub. Before that I was liking the kitchen sink easier than filling up the baby bath all the time.....

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started the big tub at 8 months. DH and I both bathe them and the babies LOVE the big tub!

11. BeckiAllen1130

BeckiAllen1130 Well-Known Member

We've been using the inflatable duck that a previous poster mentioned, but we graduated a few weeks ago!! I put them together in the tub & they LOVE it!!! As another poster said, it is a lot easier to bathe them at the same time when I have help, mostly for afterwards, all of the drying & lotioning & everything, but I can still cope alone. Anyways, I hope these responses help you make up your mind!

12. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We just started them in the regular bathtub about 2 weeks ago (around 10.5 months old). They LOVE it. I keep the water pretty shallow and they just talk and play and have so much fun.

13. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i started putting mine in at 10 months. i fold up a huge bath towel and put that over the edge (and one on the floor for my knees). if it's easier for you to do one at a time, you can always put one in an excersaucer/jumperoo (mine were still using them for such times at that age! :pardon: ) at the doorway, or in a pack n play.

14. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

I put them in the regular tub on their backs (in just a couple inches of water) starting at 3ish months, and they've been there ever since (no liners, bumpers, bath seats, nada - they just sit in the tub now). They do just fine, and we haven't had any incidents with falling - we're nearly 11 months.

15. yeacab

yeacab Active Member

We have been using bath seats since five months. They go in the regular bath, hook to the side, but they can't fall over in them and I can give both boys a bath at the same time. They like to look at each other splash and play with their ducks while I wash them.

16. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Around 7 months one of my twins still couldnt sit up that great so I used a regular LAUNDRY basket the one with holes in it. I would sit that in the tub and sit them both in there. The water still flows through and its small enough with two of them together they are always touching each other and the sides. We did that until about 8.5 months when they could both sit all on their own.
    Now I have one twin who I have a hard time keeping seated (he likes to stand and hold onto the side) and the other likes to swim around on her belly LOL

17. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

18. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

By 11 months they were definitely sitting on their own in the tub, together. We have one of those non-slip mats in the bottom of the tub.

19. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:blush: 2 months! I put a towel in the water with a few inches of water. Lay him (them) in there and watch him splash!

20. caba

caba Banned

Hi Judy! :hug:

We probably moved the twins into the bath around 10 months, but there was no way I was comfortable just sitting them in there, even though they were sitting ok ... So we went with the little bath seats. They aren't the best things ever ... my fat Jake used to have a hard time getting in and out too! But for me I would rather deal with that then a kid falling ... which was my biggest worry. So we stuck with the tub seats for a while ...we didn't get rid of them until they were like 15 months ... and we only did because we were going on vacation, and didn't want to bring them with us. So I decided it was time to get them used to being in the tub just sitting.

One Step Ahead does have a few products to baby proof the tub ... we got the tub bumper, but it didn't work for our tub ... the suction cups didn't stick.

Good luck!
    Erica

21. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

We stopped at about 8 months.