At Long Last...Updated with Pictures :)

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by niftywriter, Feb 6, 2007.

1. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

...our twins are finally getting their own bedrooms! We finished a new bedroom out of an old TV room above the garage...it is a really nice "suite" now with its own bathroom. At first we were going to have it as a guest room, but I decided that we do not have guests often enough to designate such a nice area just for a few weeks (at most!) use per year...especially when for the past three years we have just given over Kiki's room to houseguests./

SOOOO, I made the new room Kiki's room (and when guests come, she will just give it up for the couple of days as she has always done)...and meanwhile, now we have her old room free! [​IMG] I am redecorating both that room and the boys' old room so that they will each have new and improved PERSONAL space!!

So, I'll make this thrad interactive. I can't do a poll (we don't seem toh ave a poll option in 6-12 [​IMG]), so I'll just ask you all to post answers!

Do you think that having their own rooms will be the best thing since sliced bread for my boys? Do you thik I'll see an improvement in behaviour/arguing/feelings of competition? [​IMG]

2. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm going to vote that you probably won't see a huge difference in the boys' behavior. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think siblings manage to get on each other's nerves and argue even when they don't share a room. If I were able to give my girls their own room, I'm not sure how that would go. I think Caitlin would like it, but Sarah probably wouldn't. I think Logan sometimes finds having his own room lonely. He will sometimes go and sleep on the floor in the girls' room because he doens't like sleeping alone (shhhh, don't tell him I told you!). I'll be interested to hear how Kenny and Edward adjust. And I can't wait to see pictures of the redecorated rooms!

3. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

If I knew you desired to have a "guest" MORE often, Renee'....well, I'm sure I could find the airfare somewhere...LOL [​IMG]

I'm guessing you might see a difference in the arguing since they'll have their own space to retreat to. Spending a little less time together could be a good thing. I'm sure there'll always be competition, however. All sibs do that, don't they? I know ALL mine would love their own rooms. They've all said as much [​IMG]. But I'd bet that Katie and Brianna would still end up sleeping in the same room/bed anyway [​IMG].

4. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

quote:
    Do you think that having their own rooms will be the best thing since sliced bread for my boys? Do you thik I'll see an improvement in behaviour/arguing/feelings of competition?
    Well, it certainly is exciting for them, but I doubt you will see much change in behavior unless they have absolutely no interaction, lol! Still, you never know. Some time apart at night may be just what they need. Very cool. I assume they are excited!

I must admit I like having B&C in the same room. We also have a "bonus" room over our garage that we have talked about converting to a room for Sean, thereby freeing up space for B&C to have their own rooms. But I just can't do it (yet). Probably when Sean goes to college and B&C are in high school. At this point, though, they seem to still like to be together. So we'll see . . .

Hurray for Teddy and Kenny and their own "spaces!" [​IMG]

5. niftywriter

They are excited! And surprised! They have never asked for their own rooms! Actually, nights are about the only time they don't goof around!

I never though about the possibility that they might not even want to split up! [​IMG]

But nah...they have never asked before, and seemed fine with sharing...but they also seem pleased about the prospect of their own rooms. Actually Kenny is extremely excited and pleased. Edward doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

Hmmmm... [​IMG] Well, if it doesn't work out, I can always put them back together! [​IMG]

Kathryn, that new "suite" is mighty comfy! And Kiki is really nice about giving up her room (especially since she's away at college for most of the year, now! [​IMG]).

6. Kathlene

Kathlene Well-Known Member

Hmm, got room for a cpl of 6 yo girly monsters. They come w/ free destructive powers, with arguing as an added bonus, lol.

7. Mama_Kim

quote:
    But nah...they have never asked before, and seemed fine with sharing...but they also seem pleased about the prospect of their own rooms.
    Renée, I am certain they are going to love it!

8. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Congrats to the boys!

By the way, I noticed you've been calling Teddy as Edward. I realize that's the formal version of his name, but how did the change come about?

9. niftywriter

quote:
    By the way, I noticed you've been calling Teddy as Edward. I realize that's the formal version of his name, but how did the change come about?

He's been saying that he'd like to be called by his full name since 4th grade. At first, I thought maybe Edward was too grown up for him yet, but after awhile I realised that it is his name [​IMG] and I really ought to respect his wish.

I think he wanted to be just Edward partly because so many people say "keddy" or some similar thing. Even though his nickname and Ken's name do not actually rhyme, they sound enough alike (not intentionally...we named them Edward and Kenneth precisely to avoid that...but you now how it is with babies and a name that is easily shortened...it wasn't any time before people started calling him Teddy...I actually encouraged "Teddy" because people were shortening hs name to "Eddy" which I dislike...so the nickname "Teddy" sort of came about by default).

Also, the kids all asked what their names mean...and Edward was thrilled to learn that his means "loyal protector" and "guardian of the treasure". This appealed to his love of knights and castles and all that...so his earlier embarrassment about his name (there has been a bit of "ed" and "eddy" teasing on the playground in the past) was eased and he thought, "I'd like to go by Edward, not just Teddy!

The other thing is that my brother's name is also Ted...and my dad was Edward, but known as Ned. I thought if he wants to use his full, wonderful name, then why not? [​IMG] We picked it because it is a fine name! [​IMG]

But honestly, he will cheerfully answer to either name. I am just trying to get people used to it because it is his preference and there is no reason why he should have to keep a childish nickname into his teens if he prefers not to! And ,since he likes "Edward" there is no needfor him to shae his uncle's name (Ted) as he gets older either!

10. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Ah, well, he should be called by his proper name if he wishes! My dad's middle name was Edward and I had always wanted to name my son (ahem, well, THAT was never to be [​IMG]) Christopher Edward after my brother and my dad.

11. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would have loved to have my own room when I was younger.

Renee, do you realize that durring your time on this board you had one kid go from common form of her formal name to a nick name and one go from nick name to his formal name!

12. niftywriter

[​IMG] I know Kendra! Those crazy kids! Kiki actually is using her full formal name now, too...even her voice mail says "Hi, you've got Katherine's phone...etc." All the university paperwork and profs were calling her by her full name and she decided to go with the flow. I am secretly pleased because I never wanted her to be "Kate" (that was my husband's thing from before she was born) because there are/were too many Kate's and Katie's out there (don't laugh...I wanted to call her "Kathy"--popular when I was little, but almost unheard of in Kiki's generation). 'Kiki' is cute as a button and came from the boys (all 3) calling her Kiki so she used it in school because there were four or five other "Kate's" (some Katelyns) in her class. She was often called Katelyn. She was tired of the confusion. The teacher couldn't even go with "Kate H" because there were even 3 Kate H's!! [​IMG] NO ONE else went by Kiki! [​IMG]

Anyway, now we have two usng their formal names (YAY! That's why I picked them...they are good names!).

13. JenJefLog

This whole nickname/given name thing could be it's own topic! Actually, I'm pretty sure it has in PC, but we could have one here too. [​IMG]

14. niftywriter

Oops! You're right! OT! Sorry! [​IMG]

15. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

quote:
    I know Kendra! Those crazy kids! Kiki actually is using her full formal name now, too...even her voice mail says "Hi, you've got Katherine's phone...etc." All the university paperwork and profs were calling her by her full name and she decided to go with the flow. I am secretly pleased because I never wanted her to be "Kate" (that was my husband's thing from before she was born) because there are/were too many Kate's and Katie's out there (don't laugh...I wanted to call her "Kathy"--popular when I was little, but almost unheard of in Kiki's generation). 'Kiki' is cute as a button and came from the boys (all 3) calling her Kiki so she used it in school because there were four or five other "Kate's" (some Katelyns) in her class. She was often called Katelyn. She was tired of the confusion. The teacher couldn't even go with "Kate H" because there were even 3 Kate H's!! NO ONE else went by Kiki!

Renee, my neice is Katharine. She likes her name, and she has never used Katie or Kathy. However, like your Kiki, her siblings called her Kaki when they were little, and the name stuck. So to us, she is just Kaki... People often ask her where her name came from. She is so good natured she accepts it, though I think deep down inside she would prefer to just be called Katharine...

Sorry, still OT!

16. niftywriter

Cristina, that pleasant disposition must go with the name! My Katherine never made a fuss either (she went with "kiki" in school to help smooth the waters there becasue of all the confusion...first at soccer (2 KAte Hs) and then in the classroom (3 KAte Hs). THere was never any desire on her part to simply "hange her name" on a hwim...it was alwaysto try to simplify life for everyone in group situations, including herself. People can call her Kate, Katie, Kiki or Katherine and she will answer to all of them cheerfully! [​IMG] Deep down, though, like you, I htink she has been ready to go by "Katherine" for a while...she would just never embarrass anyone by making a big deal over it if they use a nickname.

Sorry Jennifer! I can't help it! I am the OT queen! [​IMG]

17. JenJefLog

quote:
    Sorry Jennifer! I can't help it! I am the OT queen!

No problem! I was just making an observation actually. And as long as this forum is seeing a little action, that's all that matters! [​IMG]

18. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I have to chime in, both my boys prefer their "long" names! It is funny because you can date who knows them--before they started school, and after, based on what the boys are called, Marc and Jon--or Marcus and Jonathan!

19. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

I know my boys would not do well right now with their own rooms. Heck, they don't even like to be upstairs in their bedroom by themselves! Can you tell they're used to living in a one-story apartment or house? LOL Here at Dad's house, there's the main floor w/ the living room, kitchen, master bedroom, etc, then upstairs are our bedrooms, my brother's room and a couple bathrooms and then there's the finished basement. Eventually, tho, I'm sure they'll want their own rooms but I just know that they're not ready for them yet.

Renee, that's very interesting about Katherine's name...I'd always wondered if Kiki was a nickname or not. [​IMG] My boys both go by their middle names (as do I!), they both have the same first name of Anthony, their father's name [​IMG]. And we have always called Michael by Micheal, one of my step-dad's friends tried calling him Mike and he didn't even answer b/c he had NO idea that he was talking to him! LOL When they were first born, my step-dad used to joke that he was going to call them Mike & Ike (like the candy). Isiah has a nickname for Michael, it's Michaelly...it's pretty cute when he calls him that and Michael actually likes it when Isiah calls him that. (I know, I have strange children...LOL) Isiah doesn't really have a nickname but I'm sure as they get older some of their friends will come up with something. My brother's name is Nikolaus and every except my step-mom calls him Nik...he says it doesn't sound right coming from his Mom so she calls him by his full name.

20. niftywriter

And finally, I have pictures! The curtains are not up yet, and the wall art work is not complete (my girls are going to do something unique for each boy...something with a dragon for Kenny and his name in Chinese characters...and something related to taekwondo for Edward, probably centered around his name in Korean characters.

First, Edward's room (which was formerly shared by both boys)

21. niftywriter

And here is Kenny's new room.

Both boys settled in quite well. Kenny left his door open for a few evenings, but now closes it and Edward closed his right from the get go. [​IMG]

22. Mama_Kim

Very nice, Renée! I'm glad they seem pleased with the switch. Beautiful uncluttered rooms too!!

23. niftywriter

[​IMG] Kim, that was right after I finished setting up the rooms...you don't want to see pics now! [​IMG]

Actually, I'm not being 100% fair...they've been doing fairly well in the "tidiness" department...for 11 year old boys! "D

24. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Renee, they look great!!!

25. krysn2ants

krysn2ants Well-Known Member

Those rooms look GREAT!!! And they look like "grown-up" rooms too! I'm glad they're settling into being in separate rooms.

26. niftywriter

THanks Ladies! We are really happy with how things have worked out!

quote:
    And they look like "grown-up" rooms too!

THat's exactly what we were trying for, Krys! [​IMG]

27. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

The rooms look great!
    I really like how the colors go together - you did a wonderful job, Renée! [​IMG]