Asking for a new MoM

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ECUBitzy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Hello, BF goddesses. I've got a new MoM from our club who just brought her kiddos home from the NICU in the past week. They're 34 weekers and are going 4 hours between feeds. She is exclusively pumping and supplementing some. She messaged me today looking for tips on upping her supply and I messaged her links to the stickies in here. Could y'all offer any more guidance that I can pass on? I am going to link her to this thread so that she can check in until she has time to register.

So far they've been gaining about an ounce a day.

Thanks so much!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A couple of questions:

- how old are they?
    - they're going 4 hours between feeds but how often is she pumping?
    - is she wanting to get them to the breast full time or is her long term plan to pump exclusively or some combination of the two?

The only thing that really jumped out at me is that assuming they're still quite young, 4 hours is an awfully long time to go between feeds - especially on breast milk. I would suggest feeding them every 2 - 3 hours during the day and, if they've regained their birth weight & she has the ok from their ped, to let them go as long as they want at night.

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

An ounce a day is great! Is she trying to stop supplementing? I agree that 4 hours is a really long time for babies that little. And pumping more often will probably do the most good for her supply.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Best pumping video ever is (Google) Jane Morton's Hands On Pumping. I only 'recreationally' pumped but it did double my output per session.

5. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

I took blessed thistle and fenugreek (herbal supplements) for the 1st six weeks and pumped 10-15 mins after each feed for the first couple of weeks or so (I honestly don't remember exactly how long) to ensure I had enough supply to EBF. She should, of course, check with her healthcare provider re supplements if she wants to take them as they are contra-indicated in certain situations. Good luck!

6. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Make sure to double pump!!! That is what will tell your body you have twins. No one told me this and thank G-d it didn't cause me any supply problems, but there was another mom in the NICU who didn't know this and her milk dried up (stupid NICU LC, but that's a different story)