Are you putting presents under the tree

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sbcowell, Nov 23, 2010.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Last year our kids didn't really understand about presents, so we did put some under the tree and they didn't pay much attention to them. But this year, now that they are almost 3, I think they will understand. So, I am a little nervous to put presents under the tree ahead of time - as I think i might walk in one day (after not watching them for say 60 seconds) and they will all be unwrapped! What is everyone else doing, are you putting presents under the tree and trying just to teach them not to touch them?

2. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

We put them under last year at 2 1/2 and they were fine. We did talk about it before and anytime they were interested that it was a secret and that you had to wait until Christmas to open them. We never had a problem. This year I plan on doing the same but they have more of their own minds now and I will watch them closely the first week or so.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Depends on your kids... I wouldn't trust mine with it.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have always put presents under the tree & have never had a problem with any of the kids opening them. We tell them not to touch & sometimes that has to be repeated a number of times, but they have never bothered the presents too much. In general, in years past when they were younger, once the tree goes up, I keep a closer eye on them anyway, just in case. So, they are rarely left alone with the ornaments/presents.

5. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Wrapped presents under the tree before Christmas morning? No way Jose! We might be able to this year...for me there's more excitement waking up to a tree full of presents rather than having them sit there for weeks. Part of it, too, is that I'm usually still shopping and wrapping Christmas Eve! lol We're almost done though so maybe I'll try it this year...

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I would love to, but my flippin' cat sits on them, paws at them, eats ribbons. :grr: So no, everything waits. If he wasn't so present-destructive, then I would definitely put a few out, and leave the Santa gifts for the last minute.

7. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

We will put our presents under the tree on Christmas Eve after the kids goes to bed. We have 2 cats and they tend to ripped the papers up, chew, and spit! :)

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes! My million year old cat has no life except for to eat every bit of wrapping paper she encounters. We probably won't have a big tree this year either, I prefer my 2 foot high one, so presents get wrapped and stuffed in a closet.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I put the presents out and tell them not to open them. I think last year a couple of presents were ripped a little bit, but I don't remember it being my two who did it. Most of the presents under the tree are for our extended family anyway, we are only giving the girls 3 gifts each plus what they get from Santa, so if they do open something it's most likely not going to be something for them and isn't going to ruin any surprise.

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, I will probably put them out before the kids wake up Christmas morning. I have a 6 year old cat that cannot resist wrapping paper. I think, if not for the cat, the kids would leave the presents alone.

11. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

We only put the presents we receive from family abroad under the tree and we just place them whenever they arrive, the rest of the presents are all from Santa in our house so they are put under the tree on christmas eve when the children are asleep.

12. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

This is the one thing I am worried about with our cat ripping the paper. We do put presents under our tree that are for other family members (nieces and nephews) but not for them. We don't put their stuff under until Christmas eve night when they are in bed. I did watch them closer when they were younger but now they are at the age where they know better (at least I hope my son knows better now). But the cat has been getting worse with tearing every piece of paper he can get a hold of lately so not sure what I am going to do.

13. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We don't put the presants under the tree until Christmas Eve. I have the kids help me pull them out of the closet and they love setting them up around the tree. :smilie_xmas_116: