Are my kids just lazy? Won't even try to hold bottles!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ABeeCDandE!, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ABeeCDandE!

ABeeCDandE! Well-Known Member

Anyone else's kiddos just not even seem interested in holding the bottle? I saw a set of 7 month old twins just going to town holding their own 8oz Avent bottles the other day and was jealous. A and C have zero interest. We use Dr Brown's. I would love the help!

2. ABeeCDandE!

Anyone else's kiddos just not even seem interested in holding the bottle? I saw a set of 7 month old twins just going to town holding their own 8oz Avent bottles the other day and was jealous. A and C have zero interest. We use Dr Brown's. I would love the help!

3. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

K&K never learned, I never taught them though so it is probably largely my fault. I enjoyed holding them individually for their bottles and since a year is such a short period of time I was ok with them never learning. I don't think bottle holding is a milestone or anything so I wouldn't worry!

4. shellworley

shellworley Well-Known Member

I don't call them lazy. It's royalty behiavor. Why would a prince or princess do work if they don't have to??? [​IMG]

5. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

My kids are interested in "holding" the bottle...but not in drinking it. They play with the nipple & put it in their mouth to chew on, but let all the formula just dribble out of their mouth. [​IMG]

I'm still post-NICU feeding-obsessed (yes, nearly 9 months later), so I don't think I've been very patient with them "learning". Everytime they start playing with it, I just grab it for fear they won't take the full feeding.

I bet if I gave them a couple days they'd have it down. I think I'd love it for 2 days and think about how it would free me up, and then, like pp said, I'd just feel sad that they were growing up and didn't need me! [​IMG]

6. Inlowtwins

Inlowtwins Well-Known Member

One of mine will hold hers and the other isn't interested at all. I will put her hands on it and she just pulls them back down. Oh well - I try not to stress to much about it, but it would be so much easier if they would help mommy out a little!!

7. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

I tried and tried for months to get my girls to hold their bottles. I would try to put their hands on it and they would just yank them back - totally not interested. Then I switched tactics. I would hold the bottle in front of them, with the nipple pointed towards their mouth. And miraculously they started to at least try and grab it. I think once it's already in their mouth there's no incentive to hold it! Bella still won't hold hers all the time, but Josie does. Now if I could only get Josie to figure out how to tip the bottle so she doesn't always have to drink reclining!

8. Robynn

Robynn Well-Known Member

I too have wondered this same thing! I have one who wants to hold, but simply can't--those Dr. Brown's bottles are really heavy, and she's still pretty small. My other DD has no intention of holding her own bottle unless it's just to play with it to chew on the nipple. I was hoping they'd get the hang of it since I thought it would free up some of my time during the day, but no such luck as of yet. As far as any sort of milestone, I know a lot of our friends here at TS have reported that their twinks never did hold their own bottles, so...maybe that's just the way it will be!

HTH!

Robynn

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

I have one holder and one who could care less! Keep working with them, they will eventually get it! [​IMG]

10. ABeeCDandE!

I know, Ainsley loves to hold the bottle, and she pinches the nipple to get a small bead of formula on the end to stare at. Fascinating to her.

That makes me feel better knowing it is not just mine that act like a little Prince and Princess. LOL!

11. olivia perin

olivia perin Well-Known Member

ok as of this week it really has been bothering me that the boys just have no intrest in holding their bottles, I have seen so many babies latley that are the same age as the boys even mastering the "one hand hold" [​IMG] so whats up with that boy???? I hope soon they will understand how much this will help me.

Olivia

12. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Mine are 7 1/2 months old and show no interest in holding their bottles. I have tried to put their hands to the bottle but they just pull their hand away as if to say "Get off me, I'm eating!" I figure when they move into sippy cups, then they're on their own. I was thinking of trying the Avent bottle holders. The Avent bottles I think are just to fat for them to control and even of they could hold the bottles, developmentally, they just don't get the whole tipping the bottom up so that the milk comes down. My friends baby just turned a year and still does not hold her bottle. Maybe it's just a personality thing?? I think it's much less common than more for babies at 7 months to hold their own bottle.

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Sarah started holding hers at around 9 months. We still usually hold them for bottles though -- as they get more mobile, snuggle time is at a premium. The only time I put her on the floor to drink her bottle is if I have to feed them at the same time. Amy is quite capable of holding her bottle, but she was never really interested in doing it. And now (at almost 13 months) she is too fidgety -- it's like she forgets to hang onto it. It's easier just to hold her, and the bottle. I agree with PP, I think it's a personality thing. You just have to decide whether it's worth it to you to really try to "teach" them.

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my son is trying really hard - he just hasn't figured out to keep tipping the bottle back so he doesn't suck air - my daughter is wishy washy about it...

15. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Sometimes Grace holds hers, sometimes she doesn't. It just depends on her mood.

Lily can hold hers but she's so fidgety that she'd rather we hold it so she can do something with her hands while she is eating.[​IMG]