Appetite for Destruction

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cheezewhiz24, Jul 15, 2014.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last week I was getting sick of being home so I did something I haven't done in a while: scoured my Pinterest board for a homemade-type activity for the boys. 

I found this link and thought it looked good... I wanted some pool noodles anyway, since my parents just put up a pool and didn't have any.

So we go to the store and buy the noodles and some soft balls.

Get it home, start the construction process. 

I get it set up in their room, tell my boys that I will not put it back up if they tear it down but to enjoy. I come downstairs and look at the clock: 4:50p and think, "I wonder how long this will last?"

4:55p. 

Seriously.

I have tried these homemade toys before and my kids just do not play well with them. They need researchers who make things out of hard plastic, meant to take a beating. A pool noodle with duct tape is a CHALLENGE, not a basketball hoop!

So what have your kids destroyed lately? I can't be the only one... (& now I've got to go hose the mud off the side of the house. Also their work).

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Sounds like my kids.  They break stuff ALL the time.  I don't bother with any homemade toys or with small pieces that will be easily lost or broken.  They also do stuff like pull off and destroy the plastic bands that make fire fighter hats adjustable.  Nothing is safe.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't give them toys anymore.. I give them materials for them to build their own crap because anything that I make gets torn apart in seconds. I should have named them Shiva 1 and Shiva 2.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Also, Miles wrote a "story" on the kitchen wall the other day. My husband flipped his lid, but that's only because he doesn't know how often this happens and how well magic erasers take it off of there.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh yes, I had one child that was a one kid tornado (oddly enough my daughter and not my son)...in addition to ruining toys, she also managed to pull the border off of her wall and break her toddler bed (thanks to running in it and constantly shaking the sides).

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dude, that is so metal.

7. cheezewhiz24

Welcome to the jungle.

1 person likes this.
  8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You're crazy, sweet child o'mine.

(Yes, TWO!!)

9. cheezewhiz24

I thought about adding Sweet Child O'Mine in there... seems like My Michelle might fit somehow, too.

1 person likes this.