Anything to improve fine motor skills?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by momotwinsmom, Dec 6, 2006.

1. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Brooke had a note sent home today saying she is very worried about Brooke's fine motor skills. She said her handwriting is sloppy and isn't straight and that her coloring isn't good either. I know Brooke's handwriting isn't great, BUT she is very quick making her way through her work. It's all about time with her. I have seen her color wonderfully too. My SIL is a 2nd grade teacher and has told me that she is perfectly fine. She has seen her handwriting and her coloring skills, and thinks they are good compared to some of her 2nd graders. I have told the teacher that she can hand Brooke's work back to her to re-do if it is sloppy or hurried. Anyone have any ideas or tips for me? Any other advice for me?

2. momotwinsmom

Brooke had a note sent home today saying she is very worried about Brooke's fine motor skills. She said her handwriting is sloppy and isn't straight and that her coloring isn't good either. I know Brooke's handwriting isn't great, BUT she is very quick making her way through her work. It's all about time with her. I have seen her color wonderfully too. My SIL is a 2nd grade teacher and has told me that she is perfectly fine. She has seen her handwriting and her coloring skills, and thinks they are good compared to some of her 2nd graders. I have told the teacher that she can hand Brooke's work back to her to re-do if it is sloppy or hurried. Anyone have any ideas or tips for me? Any other advice for me?

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Heather, if she is truly hurrying, you could try doing what you did--telling the teacher to have her re-do it until she takes the time to do it correctly. She will get tired of doing the same thing over and over again, and will slow down to do it right the first time.

I would start with that.

4. momotwinsmom

That's what I figured, just wanted other opinions. Thanks Sharon! I know she is capable of better, I have seen it with my own eyes. We talked and she understands that she will have to re-do any work that is not neat, so hopefully it will sink in fast.

5. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

It does sound like it's a 'needing to take more time' issue, but if Brooke really needs help with her handwriting, K&K's teacher suggested to me using one of those stress balls and having Kelly squeeze it ten times in a row, at certain times throughout the day. This is a muscle-strengthening exercise, which Kelly does need.

6. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

Heather, I second Sharon's advice and what you already know...that it's much more lilkely a "hurrying" issue rather than a true fine motor skills issue. Two of our boys do this and I hate to say it but the older one still does [​IMG] and he's a freshman in high school!

If you think she really could use a little help, I like Cathy's idea and, believe it or not, I'd encourage a little video game time (within reason, of course) and perhaps a computer game or two (keyboarding).

7. momotwinsmom

Those are also great ideas. Thanks Cathy and Renee. I do think it is a hurrying issue, because every night I will write out sentences for her and have her color a picture too. When she takes her time, both are pretty neat. She used to play computer games on Nick Jr, but stopped recently. I will have her start soing that again and try the ball idea too. Even I don't really think it is an issue, it can't really hurt either. [​IMG]

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

PP have good ideas. Make sure you talk with her teacher and talk with her. Kids will surprise you on thier own insights on thier work (if she thinks its messy, if she is bored, if the person next to her is 'racing too') etc.

If it is a time issue:

Set a timer- she has to work on x for __minutes- so if she finishes early she has to go backl adn 'fix' messy work.

redo messy work

remind her gently that she can be neater

praise neat work & post it ( don't degrade messy, but don't praise it either)

have her 'grade' her own work. Give it a smiley, medium or frown. Then let her 'fix' it. Some kids are fairly good at trying to give themselves a smiley. Especially if she is 'aware' that you know and her teacher knows that she is being sloppy or rushed.

If it is a fine motor issue:

have her shred paperinto confetti (fun)

practice cutting small shapes or wavey lines out of paper

do lacing activities

trace things (shapes, letters etc) in mud, pudding, playdough etc

'race' to pick up small things and place them in a small container (rice rupsies, choc chips etc) and then try to beat her time

HTH I taugh Spec education before being a SAHM. I miss working with my school kiddos so I am glad to help when I can on TS!! [​IMG]

PM if you have any ?s.

KC

9. momotwinsmom

Thanks so much for the added tips KC! I know they will be a great help!! So many great ideas, I know she will do great now!!

10. Twinstride

Twinstride Well-Known Member

Heather,

My twins have been in the same class for 5 yrs. One of my twins is very particular in how he writes, how he draws, etc. The other one is very slow, handwriting is very messy, his grades are lower than his brother's. It has taken some time now to realize that they need special education (although they do qualify with their health condition). It does not hurt to see if there is a underlying need. The special education that they have is not to take them away from the regular classroom, but to, have extra help in the classroom. A special education teacher comes and helps them one on one in the class. Actually, all the students get help in the classroom as well, but more attention is served to my boys. You should see their handwriting, grades, etc...exploding!.

Just something to think about if you feel there is a need still after trying the other things the ladies on TS has suggested.

Good Luck