Anyone's twin missed on early ultra or doppler?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Maybetwinmama, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Maybetwinmama

Maybetwinmama New Member

Hi! I really hope you all do not mind me asking this!!!

I am 12 weeks now. :)

I had 7w3d ultra that showed one baby, on HB.

Doppler at 11.5 weeks heard one heartbeat. Although, she did stay on just one side of belly.

I should be assured there is one, but from day one, I have had this overhelming feeling there are two. This is my 4th, and I have never felt this way. I shared these feelings with my mom, and she told me that I have 5 sets of fraternal twins on her side, just one generation back. I was shocked. She is estranged from them, so I had no idea.

Anyhow. Is it possible to miss a twin at 7w3d and the 11.5 week doppler? Anyone have this happen?

Thanks for any info! :)

2. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

3. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

We had our ultra sound week 6-7 of all days it was April 1st. The doctor showed us a little heard beating measured the little clump and finished the exam. I was about to get up off the table and he said, wait I forget to check to make sure there wasn't 2 in there. My husband and I just laughed and said oh right april fools. Then he said, no it's happened to me before I don't want it to happen again, it was quite embarrasing, so he inserted the wand again and the next thing we hear is well look here there is another one in there. My husband and I were shocked. As for listening for the heartbeats my midwife didn't even start to do it until week 15 because she said they were so small she would be chasing them around for hours trying to find them and she wouldn't be sure which was which or if it was the same baby that just moved. She compared them to popping kernels of popcorn at that poit.
    Interesting enough, the lady that started the local twin site in our town, had a similar experience that you described, she felt that there were two there. They did the first ultra sound and only found one baby then she asked, are you sure there aren't any more in there? Yes the tech says, low and behold at the 18 week scan they found out she was right she was carrying twins. So you never know! Good luck at your next appointment Cheers :wavey:

4. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

My baby B was missed until an ultrasound at 22 weeks. He was never picked up on doppler or an ultrasound at about 15 weeks. In retrospect, there were many, many clues that he was there, but no one put them together.

5. Maybetwinmama

Maybetwinmama New Member

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate it!

You know, the biggest reason I wanted to even have that ultra was because I wanted to confirm my suspicions, LOL. When the tech did it, I asked her, "are you sure there is not another one?" Kind of annoyed, she said, "Yes. That is what I did when I first went in, scanned for two. I always do that." But...I have the screen on the wall, and I saw her scan, it was less than 2 seconds, very fast, and once she spotted the baby, she certainly did not check again. Who knows. Maybe I am crazy, but imo that scan was pretty fast and blurry. I am no expert though.

Time will tell. I should have my next ultra around 15 weeks. If there are two, I certainly will be back. I almost joined before I had the ultra. I swear that is how strong the feeling was. Makes me feel nuts!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I could feel the girls move at 14 weeks. They did a Doppler at 22 weeks and only found one hb. It wasn't till the u/s 2 weeks later did we find it was twins

7. Kayla_Pray22

Kayla_Pray22 Well-Known Member

I had an ultrasound at 6weeks and had ONE baby...then had an ultrasound at 7weeks ONE baby(i had some issues is why they did two early ultrasounds) then at like 10 weeks I think I have an ultrasound and she says "sweetheart did they tell you how many babies you were having" and I was like "umm yea one" The way she said it it sounded like more than twins lol But ya we found out on the third ultrasound at 10weeks

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

For some reason, I felt I was having twins from the start with my 2nd pregnancy which was totally odd. (we did IVF to get the twins and the 2nd pregnancy was spontanious.) I was right. Amazing. It is possible, but probably not probable. Good luck!

9. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

Had an ultrasound at 6weeks and only saw one baby, had another ultrasound at 11 weeks and we found the second one!![​IMG]

10. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

We did IUI so had u/s since I was 5 weeks pregnant & the doctor saw both sacs from that point on every u/s we saw two right away. On the doppler I can see it being easily missed, but u/s I would think it would be harder to miss. I can only go by my own experience tho since we always saw 2 from so early on....& I had an u/s from the fertility dr at 5,6,7 & 8th week and we saw twins right away, but then again, other women seem to have experienced the u/s missing the other baby.

11. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My 10-week U/S showed one. All heartbeat checks after that only picked up one. The doc started to wonder after my blood test numbers came back around 20 weeks but insisted he'd never missed multiples at the 10-week U/S.

Our 22-week U/S showed two.

12. shannon713

shannon713 Active Member

our twins were missed on the first two sonos. We did not find out until our third sono, which was done at 14 weeks.

13. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

U/S

This was my u/s pic done at exactly 7w3d:) We had always seen 2:) Good luck though!

14. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My OB told me that she never checks for twins with a Doppler because more than likely she won't hear the second heartbeat anyway. If twins are suspected, she'll send for an u/s. I was one of those that knew something was very different with my twin pregnancy as well. Good luck to you!!

15. I had an ultrasound at 4 weeks -one black hole of nothing. Then I had one at 6 weeks-black hole bigger-looks like a little white circle was inside. Then at 11 weeks my husband and I jokingly asked the doc if that was the only baby in there and he rolled his eyes a bit and said yes of course...5 minutes later with a seemingly slip of the goopy wand and boom another baby.

16. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Well, I THOUGHT it might be twins, but never said anything to my OB. I had WAY more morning sickness, so I had it in my head it may be twins. We had an US at 12 weeks, where my OB found one baby and stated he thought I was gestationally farther along due to the size of my uterus. Which I thought was weird.... And then at my nuchal scan, at 14 weeks, the tech "found" the other baby! LOL

17. eehrlich

eehrlich Well-Known Member

only saw one little yolk sac at 6 wks, no hb, then at 9wks my doc didnt find anything in the office ans sent me to u/s for a viability check and they found both of them, so they missed them both till the tech found them at 9 wks.

18. Maybetwinmama

Maybetwinmama New Member

I so appreciate all the comments!!!

What other signs did you have?

Adding to my crazy strong intuition(I seriously wish I could STOP thinking about this!!!) is the fact that I had a + HPT at 10dpo, that was crazy crazy dark. Darker line than my other pregnancies when I was testing at 16dpo, and I have never gotten a + before 15 dpo, despite testing like crazy every time! Now, I am measuring large. I am measuring closer to 19 weeks instead of 13, and I have never ever measured ahead before, and I do not have large babies. I hate feeling this way. I am nearly convinced they missed a baby, but then I also have to acknowledge that it may just all be in my head and coincidental, and that makes me feel so crazy!

19. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I got pregnant in Bulgaria, so my circumstances were a bit out of the ordinary. I primarily saw a Swedish midwife at the British Embassy. I got my ultrasound at the only maternity hospital in the capital city. But the US Embassy also had a local doctor on staff who sort of followed me.

- Larger than normal for gestation (first pregnancy). Even the midwife asked me if I was sure of my LMP because my uterus was bigger than she expected.
    - The midwife found the heartbeat high and to the left. The doc at the US Embassy, who needed a guinea pig to test his new doppler, found the heartbeat low and to the right. They were listening to different babies. :laughing:
    - Terrible pains in my lower abdomen, which prompted the ultrasound at about 15 weeks. If we had known about twins, the pains would have been normal and logical (first pregnancy, lots of stretching going on).

But I also didn't have the usual symptoms either. No morning sickness. :escape: Please don't :catfight: While my uterus was larger and higher, my abdomen didn't measure "ahead" until the middle of the 3rd trimester. I wasn't in maternity clothes until 18 or 19 weeks. My HCG (is that the acronym) was so low that the docs thought the pregnancy might not be viable. My pregnancy test was negative at about 4 weeks past LMP. We tested not because we thought I was pregnant but because I needed to take an anti-biotic. I didn't test positive until 6 weeks.

20. hhc

hhc Well-Known Member

My Drs always saw more than one since 6 weeks but they were also looking for multiples since I had fertility treatments. I have a friend with twins (no treatments) and hers weren't discovered until 11 weeks. As for the doppler, my OBs have never been able to find the heartbeat of Baby B. HB is even difficult to read with the ultrasound because of the position.

As for HPT, they really don't tell you anything about how many you're carrying. I had a very faint line, so faint that I didn't even see it, threw it away and told my husband that I wasn't pregnant. The Dr called the same day with the blood test result and told me that my numbers were quite high and that they suspected multiples. It really depends on the test and even the same brand can vary. I bought a 3 pack of First Response and used all of them the same day with varying results - one was so faint that I didn't see it, one was dark, the last was digital.

21. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

My u/s at 6w5d showed ONE baby.

At 10w2d ... there were 2!

22. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Well-Known Member

Although our first u/s at 9 weeks showed both babies - I will post here to add that I had a very strong feeling that something was up from the day we found out I was pregnant.

My pregnancy test was crazy dark, turned that way fast.
    My boobs hurt like crazy and had grown already by 8 weeks, and the veins in them were really dark.
    I already had morning sickness.
    My belly was already growing a little. Although it was my 3rd pregnancy ( at the time our dd was 2 and I'd lost a baby 3 months prior) but I still felt like it was early to have a little bump.

Anyway - I just had a feeling, and we joked about it to our families. :) I was right, but, I was still shocked when the u/s tech said ... "Wanna see something cool? Here's one baby, and here's another baby!" :) :) :) One of the very best days of my life.